PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

Carole Valentine
02-20-2005, 8:31 PM
Gave up on the punky paulownia and cut the end off a walnut board I had in the shop. This is the result. It's about 5.5" in diam and about 1.5" deep. Nothing but the first coat of oil on it. Hopefully I will get better at this, but at least I got it off the lathe in one piece!:o
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/firstbowl_opt.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
02-20-2005, 8:46 PM
Carole, it looks great! Glad that it turned out for you!

Jim Dunn
02-20-2005, 8:58 PM
Carol that is a great "first" bowl. Now show us the blue ribbons for the last bowls you made:) Good bowl, great bowl, fantastic bowl, I'm running out of words here somebody help me.

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 9:13 PM
I think it looks terrific, Carole! I wish my first one was even close to that good... (I still have it to remind me of how this addiction started... ;) )

Robert Cox
02-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I'd show you my first bowl but's in quite a few pieces with #'s 2 through 6 in a pile of shaving out in the woods.....

I like yours better.

Carole Valentine
02-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks, guys! It was fun. I think I am hooked.:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi Carole,

I don't want to be counter Yahoo - great job - here, but These old eyes can't see much of the bowl. The roundness and a smoothness is appearant, but, if you could get your photo program to brighten the walnut up, it will show the beauth that i'm sure is there.

Thanks,
bruce

Michael Stafford
02-21-2005, 6:24 AM
Carole, no expert here, but the bowl has a nice shape and finish. I like it! :D

I hope you do too cause ultimately you need to be happy with your work. :)

Carole Valentine
02-21-2005, 7:36 AM
I know what you mean Bruce! But my camera does not do a very good job at night and even the best photo program can't cure all ills. LOL Will take a photo in natural light after the bowl is finished. It only has one coat of oil on it.

Kevin Brown
02-21-2005, 9:45 AM
Very nice bowl Carole

Also I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but congratulations on being "published" in the newest issue of Popular Woodworking (page 20 "Tricks of the Trade") :)

Kevin

Alan Ryalls
02-21-2005, 9:48 AM
nice one carole,
regards alan

Glenn Hodges
02-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Congratulations Carole, your determination has paid off this bowl is one to be proud. So many first bowls can't compare to this one. I am glad you rid yourself of the paulownia, I think I will burn the 3 short logs I have. It has no character, and is to soft.

Carole Valentine
02-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Kevin. I was really shocked when Paul Anthony called and said they wanted to use my submission!

Jerry Clark
02-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Great looking first bowl Carole-- Nice form and shape-- This qualifies you for a coupon for more tools!

Dawn Sunkle
02-21-2005, 3:28 PM
I know what you mean Bruce! But my camera does not do a very good job at night and even the best photo program can't cure all ills. LOL Will take a photo in natural light after the bowl is finished. It only has one coat of oil on it.Carole, I hope you dont mind, I took your image into paintshop and lightened it up some. Its beautiful. I hope my first comes out half as well as yours :)

Here is your lightened bowl ( I don't have a lathe yet, so at least I can contribute is this way... again I hope you don't mind)

Dawn

Carole Valentine
02-21-2005, 4:34 PM
Carole, I hope you dont mind, I took your image into paintshop and lightened it up some.
Dawn,
Don't mind at all, but the bowl is actually very dark as in the first photo. It is out of focus because my camera can't focus well in low light so it looks very muddy and you can't see the grain. I did the same thing you did, only in PhotoShop (and on the original high res shot), and decided you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so I left it as it was! :D Hurry and get your lathe...you will be addicted!