PDA

View Full Version : S c johnson paste wax

Thomas Hotchkin
08-15-2011, 9:33 PM
Just a FYI, I picked up a new can of SC Johnson Paste Wax. Same can as always, but the WAX color inside was different. Called S C Johnson's info line got to talk to a nice young lady that did some checking, and found that they removed color dye in 2010. So if you open a new can and it does not look the same, its the same formula just no color dye added. After using it for over 30 years, wax inside the can looked very strange. Tom

Dave Lehnert
08-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the info.

Bill Huber
08-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks, I am just about to the point I need to buy an new can and I would have panic-ed when I saw it was not the old color.

Mike Goetzke
08-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Now that we are talking wax is it common for the wax to dry out over time?

Glen Butler
08-16-2011, 1:58 AM
I am on the last of my 8 years old can and it works just fine. My father has a can from 20+ years ago and it is still fine. I think its safe to say it doesn't dry out.

Tony Zaffuto
08-16-2011, 6:35 AM
I've had my can for at least a decade, with about a quarter of it gone. I ought to be good for another 30 years, which would put me somewhere between 88 and 89 years old. By that time, my eye sight won't be able to tell the difference between colors and if I can, I probably won't care anyway!

Seriously, I use Johnson's Wax on saw plates & plane bottoms and works better than other stuff for me. I occasionally will use it for a "waxed" finish also.

Gary Max
08-16-2011, 7:23 AM
I must be doing something wrong----- I can't get a can to last more than 10 years before running out.

John McClanahan
08-16-2011, 8:17 AM
I have part of a can that is 16 years old that I use on my tools. Over the years it has gotten softer, as though it is slowly turning to liquid.

John

Mike Goetzke
08-16-2011, 9:02 AM
I am on the last of my 8 years old can and it works just fine. My father has a can from 20+ years ago and it is still fine. I think its safe to say it doesn't dry out.

The reason I ask is I recently ran out my first can and the replacement was WAY softer. The old one was almost like old shoe polish - hard and in chunks. It was a joy to use the new stuff.

Mike

Dave Lehnert
08-16-2011, 9:29 AM
I have part of a can that is 16 years old that I use on my tools. Over the years it has gotten softer, as though it is slowly turning to liquid.

John

This is also what I have experienced.

I keep a car wax pad in my can. Very handy to apply wax to saw tops etc....

Scott Vigder
08-16-2011, 10:16 AM
This begs the question: if it lasts so long, how do they stay in business if there is no need to buy more?

Jerome Hanby
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
This begs the question: if it lasts so long, how do they stay in business if there is no need to buy more?

Because you have it so long you misplace the can and the only way to find it is to buy a new one!

Matt Meiser
08-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Scott, they make a couple other products. :)

http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products/overview.aspx