PDA

View Full Version : Help with bandsaw blades

Raymond Sprouse
08-15-2011, 7:02 PM
I just got my first bandsaw and wanted to get some extra blades soon. I use it to rough out my logs into green bowl blanks. I see a few different blade types and was wondering if someone could explain what the types mean, and which one would be best for green logs. The types I see are Pos Claw, Raker, and hook.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony De Masi
08-15-2011, 7:12 PM
Raymond, I'm not all that versed in all the different types but when I called Suffolk Machinery and told them that I wanted to use my blades exactly in the way you described they recommended the Timberwolf AS blade. This blade is made specifally for green wood applications. The width and length will of course depend on your band saw.

Roger Chandler
08-15-2011, 7:15 PM
+ 1 on Tony's advice............you want a raker tooth, and alternating set to the teeth if possible........if your bandsaw is a 14" model it will likely take a 93.5 inch blade...........if it has a riser block it will take 105 inch blade.........you want something with about 3 teeth per inch or less............Can't hardly beat a timberwolf blade!

Jamie Donaldson
08-15-2011, 7:24 PM
For cutting green or slightly green wood blanks you should use an Alternate Set hook tooth 3 TPI 3/8" blade, and that will cover most of your turning needs. A raker tooth doesn't clear chips well in wet wood.

Richard Jones
08-15-2011, 7:34 PM
From another post a few weeks back.......

Raymond,

Well, I'll be the knot on the log and say that I use the Lenox Diemaster 2 blades (bi-metal) from www.bandsawbladesdirect.com (http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/) For me, they are head and shoulders above the TW blades. Sharper, smoother cutting, way longer lasting, and I have used a bunch of the TW's . I have a 3/8" 4tpi .035 skip tooth on my big saw and I have cut at least 200 blanks with it since April when I put it on, and it's still going strong. Cost was about $47, and worth every penny. Elm, cherry, oak, maple, walnut, etc. All green, thickness from 2"-8+". Never got anywhere close with that from TW or the Woodslicers. I have new TW blades hanging on the wall that I will never use. Hmmmm, sounds like a sale coming up...check the classifieds later!!! Not trying to upset anyone, just telling my side of it...........Use whatever you think is good, and be happy.

Rich

Reed Gray
08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
For size of blade, that depends on your bandsaw. I have a 1/2 inch blade on my circle cutting saw. You can cut 6 inch diameter pretty easily with it. The advantage over the 3/8 inch blade is stability. There are different thicknesses, and I prefer the thicker ones, again, more stable. Another vote for the Lennox Diemaster blades. Bi metal for sure as they stay sharper longer, even if you hit a nail. Your local saw shop may be able to resharpen them for you. If you call some local saw shops, they may be able to make them for you.

robo hippy

Greg Just
08-15-2011, 10:14 PM
another plus for what Tony said. I just purchased 2 new blades through a group purchase with our turning club. Got a great price.