PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Thermometers?

Russ Filtz
08-15-2011, 5:49 PM
Any insights on which brands are best? Seems to be a plethora of vendors at a range of prices. Rather not have to spend $$$ on a Fluke, Extech, or Milwaukee, if a cheapo unit will do just fine for random home use. Finding brands like Mastercool, Microtemp, Kintrex, GSI, Neiko, DeWalt, Raytek, etc.

Bill Huber
08-15-2011, 8:37 PM
I have a Craftsman I got a few years ago, I think at the time it was around $69. It is ok, and works for most things I use it for, I have found it is off about 2° at 100° which is not bad, I checked it with a high dollar one from work.

Marty Paulus
08-16-2011, 11:44 AM
I would guess it would depend on what range of temps and accuracy you require. From what I have seen once you get below 0F and above 500F with more then about +/-2% the price seems to go up fast. HF sells some that fit into the 0-500 range at reasonable prices. I have actually been looking to get one for the kitchen to check temps in there.

Michael Weber
08-16-2011, 1:47 PM
I have a really cheap one I picked up on some kind of special offer through some online place that posts "hot deals". It was 10 bucks or so and works fine for looking a wall and ceiling temperatures etc. It agreed pretty much with some high dollar thermocouple measuring equipment I have access to.

Ken Garlock
08-17-2011, 5:31 PM
Hi Russ.

If you want a quality product, pick a Fluke thermometer. In case you are not familiar with the Fluke brand, they are a major maker of electrical test equipment. I bought a nice Fluke infrared meter on Amazon for around $80. It also has a built in laser pointer so that you can see just what you are measuring. It comes with a carrying case that will hook to your belt.