PDA

View Full Version : File Problems

Martin Boekers
08-15-2011, 3:03 PM
I have been trying to open this Occupational Badge file, when I import it
or open in with Corel part of the image is jumbled. Any help whould be appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USAF_-_Occupational_Badge_-_Logistics_Readiness.svg

I'm tring to match 4 other shields and really need a vector to match line width.

Thanks in advance!

Scott Shepherd
08-15-2011, 3:22 PM
Email sent Marty. Let me know if it works.

Bruce Volden
08-15-2011, 3:24 PM
Martin,

I have CD ver 11 and was able to open it. I see what you're talking about! I did ungroup all and cleaned out some "weird" stuff. Here is what I have---you will need to modify it more as some items need shifting front/back etc. Also the eye of the eagle needs attention. Well at least you have something to do for a little bit:D In version 10.

Bruce

Mike Null
08-15-2011, 3:38 PM
I see why you went there. The AF art file is worse.

Frank Corker
08-15-2011, 3:47 PM
This is the file in cmx and an updated cdr file in version 11, I have already traced it out but left the white areas a background in case you wanted to alter it.

Martin Boekers
08-15-2011, 3:52 PM
I see why you went there. The AF art file is worse.

Yup! I have 5 Occupational Badges and the Squadron Shield for a recognition board.
Go figure 4 are close to each other than this one was off. Not sure why it came out
jumbled when I opened though. I had that problem a week or so ago with a different piece of art
any ideas?

Martin Boekers
08-15-2011, 4:35 PM
Thanks all!!!!!

I got it with your help! I got it to match the other badges pretty close.
Been cutting acrylic letters all morning. Now time to cut the laser loose
for about 3-4 hours on wood. YeHaa!!!! Burn Baby Burn!

Tony Lenkic
08-15-2011, 5:08 PM
Here is CDR-V9

Dee Gallo
08-15-2011, 6:17 PM
I love how so many step up to help when they can... what a great place this is!

Martin Boekers
08-15-2011, 7:58 PM
I love how so many step up to help when they can... what a great place this is!

You are abosolutly right Dee!

I have been under the "gun" lately and not the best at tracing things and this really helped me out so I could get all
5 Badges to match!

And you know what else Dee,

sometimes help here comes from the folks here on the forum, tips that are not even posted in this forum!
I am talking for those like Roy Brewer who has taken time to make tutorial videos that he shares freely on
YouTube. I try to make time to research things out and watch as many of these over and over to drill it into my
head!

Today was a perfect example. I had a customer come at closing time needing a few plaques made by tomorrow afternoon
if possible........... He was a bit shaken as he told me of his needs. A family member was recently killed in Afganistan
and he wanted to get something special made for this man's family, but he really needed it quickly. I searched the web and found
the image he wanted of this Sgt. It was real low res so I did my magic on the web and fifteen minutes later found an
image I could work with.

I prepped the photo the best I could and started my testing on laser brass, not happy with how it was coming along and
knowing I needed to put full effort into this project. I then recalled a video on YouTube I had seen a while back on prepping
a photograph that Roy Brewer kindly published. In a matter of minutes I had the conversion and a first test on the way.
I ran the laser to start from bottom up so I could see the image come out of the metal. (this is as close as I can come
to watching a print develop in a tray of photo chemicals in my younger days) What I saw just blew me away!!!!
much better than even I could have hoped for! I am staying late to make sure this family has the best I can do, they
will be in tomorrow an hour before I open. I know they will love what I am putting together. ( I just hope I
can keep it together!)

Being on base I am called on from time to time in instances such as this. It's never easy. I do my best day in and day out
but in circumstances such this my best will not be good enough, I have to kick it up a notch. Those who kindly and freely
share there expertise, like Roy Brewer, have made this happen today for me. His knowledge allowed me to make something
very special at a level I truly didn't think I could achieve. Thank you Roy!!!

And thanks to all those that help everyday and ask nothing in return. I don't have to name names, we all see their
contributions all the time.

For those who have never seen this video from Roy, check it out. Better yet book mark it. Someday it just may make a difference
on a project you are working on!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0)

Ian Franks
08-16-2011, 4:56 AM
We have found with svg files that don't open in Corel, open them in Inkscape (free program),then copy and paste into Corel and you usually don't have any problems. Sometimes you have to choose "paste special" in Corel and then choose "picture (metafile) " or "picture (enhanced metafile)". Works for us and we are using Corel X4.