PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth Table (long)

Roger Myers
02-20-2005, 7:52 PM
This project has been "in-progress" for far too long as other projects, tasks, and so on constantly seem to take priority....it's been sitting semi-finished for a while waiting for me to dedicate some time to do the final coats of finish, rub-out and wax.... Following my guild meeting this weekend, I returned to the shop with no other projects in the way....

Design is a 2 drawer Portsmouth (NH) table from early 18th century. Model was a table that Alan Breed had built and had in his shop...no drawings and no measurements in building this...all done by means of a story stick capturing details from the model.

Material is mahogany with some curly maple veneer drawer banding as well as some very old inlay (~ est 100 years old) that came from a stock that Alan Breed had tucked away and was very kind to let me use for this table. Secondary wood is white pine.

Construction of this table was all with hand tools, except for turning the legs. This was the principal motivation in building the piece...most of the construction took place during a class I took with Alan. A real chance to work on hand tool skills, learning from one of the very best! As time permitted, I finished construction at home, and then it sat (and sat, and sat) waiting for me to find the time to finish it....

Adhesive was hyde glue mixed from granules, and finish was shellac mixed from flakes. Garnet base coats on most of the piece (except the drawer faces), followed by several blonde topcoats. Banding and inlay on drawers first received a blonde seal coat of shellac, followed by the garnet and then the top coats. After rub-out to 600 grit, piece was waxed with dark wax rubbed in with 0000 wool.

Piece now occupies a spot in the family room, a home much better suited to it than the assembly table in my shop.

Roger Myers
02-20-2005, 7:54 PM
2 more pics of the table....

Bob Winkler
02-20-2005, 8:03 PM
Roger,

Absolutely stunning! What a masterpiece that will fit in any living room for generations to come.

Bob

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 8:53 PM
That's really, really wonderful, Roger. Great work!

Jim Dunn
02-20-2005, 8:54 PM
A very beautiful piece of furniture. I especially like the contrasting woods in the drawers. Looks like hard maple and cherry? I also impressed with the inlay on the front of the drawers.
Jim

Roger Myers
02-20-2005, 9:03 PM
Jim - the drawers are solid mahogany, with an inlay and some edge banding...so the dark wood you see in the center is the mahogany....looks a little lighter than the other mahogany, but is actually from the same stock...using a hand plane, the perimeter of the drawer face is planed to a depth deep enough for the inlay and the maple veneer. These are glued to the drawer face with hide glue, and then a hand scraper is used to bring the veneer and inlay flush with the drawer face. Blond shellac sealer over the inlay and veneer only, so that they don't darken from the garnet shellac that the mahogany receives.

Thanks to all for the kind comments....

John Dingman
02-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Roger,

That is one beautiful piece of furniture! Great Work!

John

Louis Bois
02-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Lovely work Roger!!! I can see that many hours went into that piece... The outcome was worth it. Congratulations!!!

Carl Eyman
02-20-2005, 10:11 PM
And to think I met the maker of this wonderful piece in person! No kidding, Roger, that is a piece to be proud of. Beautiful in every detail.

Tom Scott
02-21-2005, 12:50 AM
I'd say it was worth the wait. Beautiful work on this piece, Roger. And all neander style to boot...I can't say I've done a piece that would classify as that.

Tom

Pam Niedermayer
02-21-2005, 2:33 AM
Gorgeous piece of work, Roger, congratulations.

Pam

Alan Turner
02-21-2005, 3:12 AM
Very nice work, Roger.
Alan

Steve Wargo
02-21-2005, 5:00 AM
Roger, I remember seeing one on the cover of PWW magazine a while back and thinking that it just didn't look right. The shelf was overpowering and it just looked off. I think that two drawers looks perfect. The whole think just works. Great job it really is a beautiful piece. I also like the contrast from the drawer faces. Did you make the inlay? Thanks for sharing.

Dave Anderson NH
02-21-2005, 7:52 AM
I've had the opportunity to see this piece progress (rather slowly) and am happy to see it's now finished. You did a great job and I'll assure folks who are looking at the pix that the table looks a lot better in real life. Now about that cherry dressing table....:p :D

Roger Myers
02-21-2005, 8:34 AM
Did you make the inlay? Thanks for sharing.
Steve, No, the inlay actually came from some very very old stock that Al Breed had....the newspaper that it was wrapped in crumbled as we unwrapped it....there was just about enough of this inlay to do the piece...holly/ebony/rosewood in the diamond inlay. I was very very grateful to Alan for lending this to the project...
Roger

Brian Buckley
02-21-2005, 8:14 PM
WOW, absolutely beautiful work. This type of craftsmanship is what keeps me going back to my shop over and over again. Maybe someday I will be able to do such skilled work. Thanks for the pictures.

Brian

Mike Scoggins
02-22-2005, 9:03 AM
Roger,

Let me add my "Wow!" Beautiful job! It's work like this that results in pieces like this that inspires me and increases my love of woodworking. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Mike

Bob Hovde
02-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Beautiful execution of a very nice design.

Bob