PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive lidded bowl

Curt Fuller
08-15-2011, 2:30 PM
This bowl is what I made for the 'Beauty' part of the Beauty and the Beast contest over at WTA. It's all from a piece of Russian Olive burl. The lid was cored from the bowl using a primitive homemade coring tool (I recommend using a 'real' tool after this workout) and the finial was carved from a piece of the burl cut off to round it for the lathe. It's about 11" wide at the widest point and 9" tall to the top of the finial. Russian Olive is a junk tree that grows like a weed around here. It has some nice color and a very distinct aroma when turning it. Burls aren't very common though so when I found this at the local green waste dump it was one of those "Eureka" type finds. This wood was very dead and dry when I got it so it was turned start to finish without any drying time in between. There are so many great finial makers out there that whenever I try to turn a finial I always feel like I'm copying someone's style. So for this contest piece I decided to try carving a finial that would be unique and different. It was an experience to say the least and although it is unique I'm not sure I'll try that again. The finish is 4 coats of AO and then buffed with the Beall system.

Marty Eargle
08-15-2011, 2:40 PM
Man, I wish I knew where there was a wood dump around me....this is a heck of a find!

I really like how unique this particular form is...but also how well the curves flow together. Great form, great wood. It'll make a great entry for you. :)

Tim Rinehart
08-15-2011, 2:44 PM
Curt, that's a beauty...you really did that piece of burl well and I like the finial. Kinda nautical fishhook theme to it.
Well done and like Marty said..must be nice to have access to a dump with stuff like that. Our dump not very good about letting you scrounge around, liability issues I guess. They mulch all of it up, and I know some good to great wood gets chopped up.

Greg Bender
08-15-2011, 3:02 PM
Curt,
I'll second and third what Tim and Marty have already said.That is one fine piece of scrounge wood.I wish we had some of that growing around here. Like the guys said ,we can't get near the local wood dumps.Everybody is afraid somebody is going to sue if they get hurt on city or town property.
I agree with you Tim ,I'm sure alot of great wood gets chipped and lost forever.
As far as the bowl Curt,everything about it is fine!,Really like the unique finial .Did you sharpen the hook yourself? Really,color ,finish ,proportions are really nice.Take care,
Greg

John Keeton
08-15-2011, 3:51 PM
Curt, the wood is absolutely awesome - that part is obvious. But, what you have done here is combine a perfectly done ogee form, with a "just right" lid, and a wonderfully unique finial to create a beautiful piece of art! Extremely well done!

I know you turn a lot of Russian Olive, and without fail, the color and character is always first rate - but, this piece is truly a Eureka find!

Roger Chandler
08-15-2011, 4:11 PM
Curt,

What a fine turning! Truly fine........carries over into art for sure.........very unique finial concept............beautifully done!

Scott Hackler
08-15-2011, 4:15 PM
Very, very cool Curt.....which is troubling since I am in the contest against you!

charlie knighton
08-15-2011, 4:38 PM
Curt, very nice, enjoy your contest you do not need any luck

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2011, 6:01 PM
Curt that is one beautiful and unique piece. Love it.

kenneth walker
08-15-2011, 6:21 PM
Great looking. I see this as a Peterpan and Captain Hook theme. Great Job.

Dennis Ford
08-15-2011, 6:28 PM
WOW! I don't know what else to say, it is a great piece.

Baxter Smith
08-15-2011, 7:50 PM
Awesome wood, awesome form, awesome lid, awesome finial. Curt, I think I like it a lot!:D

David E Keller
08-15-2011, 7:55 PM
Man, that's about as sweet as it gets! Great job on both your pieces, Curt!

jwjerry w kowalski
08-15-2011, 8:22 PM
That's an absolute beauty, I love everything about it. great form, great wood, and a great idea showing your non-conformist original creativity.

Bill Bolen
08-15-2011, 8:23 PM
Beautiful piece sir! That big 'ole skyhook sure sets it apart.

Mark Hubl
08-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Nice work Curt. That is a Beauty piece for sure. Love the wood nice score. Good luck.

Kathy Marshall
08-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Ditto what everyone else said! Awesome all the way around!

Michelle Rich
08-16-2011, 8:09 AM
WOW this is stunning..your carved finial is just splendid. Super piece!

Ken Glass
08-16-2011, 8:53 AM
Curt,
That is one amazing piece. It combines every component and just captivates the viewer. Extremely well done.

James Combs
08-16-2011, 9:32 AM
As has already been said, just AWESOME.

Norm Zax
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Spectacular wood and an elegant design. Well done!

Toney Robertson
08-16-2011, 7:52 PM
Beautiful wood, wonderful execution.

Michael James
08-16-2011, 9:15 PM
That is certainly a piece to be proud of. Best of luck!
mj

Donny Lawson
08-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Awesome looking piece. You did the burl very well.

Curt Fuller
08-17-2011, 8:18 PM
Thanks all of you for all of the generous comments!

As for scrounging wood from the green waste facility, I'll pass along two things I've learned.........It's always easier to as for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I've had one guy come and tell me I wasn't supposed to be taking wood. But he didn't tell me to put it back. And if you get to know the guy at the gate, a 12 pack goes a long ways for him looking the other way.