PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever made a wax seal stamp?

Garrett Nors
08-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Can you make one out of wood? Would the wax stick to it? I have heard you can put a little cooking oil on it but I've never seen one made of wood so I didn't know if it was even worth trying out.

Mike Null
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
It should work as long as you have some kind of release agent. I'd use hard wood with shellac then silicone spray.

I think delrin would also be good.

Rodne Gold
08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
We make em all the time with acrylic...glue it onto a handle , works a charm , especially if you use stamp mode where it makes a shoulder like this \/ so the stamp releases easy.

Douglas J Miller
08-15-2011, 11:32 AM
What I find works good as a mold release is PAM cooking spray. I have used it on wood before. Also use it when I cut foam molds on my CNC, and pour concrete blocks.

Rodne Gold
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
You shouldn't need a release agent for wax stamps , the wax is the release agent and it solidifies so its an easy release , you cant do undercuts so you cant pull wax off unless you use something like wood that is porous. The only real issue with wax stamps made on a laser is that the engraved areas are not dead smooth but you can get extra smoothing by running a polishing pass after the deepish engraving.