PDA

View Full Version : SMC Rock Star: Scott Holmes

Kent A Bathurst
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Scott is doing articles for American Woodworker Magazine - first one due out in the Dec/Jan 2012 issue

He's also doing hip-hop videos for MTV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZW8d...ature=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZW8dqI2zb8&feature=youtu.be)

That video gave me examples for an easier path to follow on routine stuff - very helpful, actually, on simple stuff like cleaning a brush and loading a brush - I was over-driving my headlights.

The only negative thing that I saw in the video..........Scott, 'ol pal.......your avatar photo is a few grey hairs out of date, I'm afraid. :D

Good luck on the articles - I'll be reading 'em. Let us know when you have more articles and videos, eh?

Regards,

Kent

Scott Holmes
08-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you Kent. MTV?

American Woodworker Magazine did the video ... I'll bet MTV videos pay a lot more!

I've been told that grey hair is a sign of wisdom... I guess it would be wise to update the photo.

Jim Rimmer
08-15-2011, 1:14 PM
Great video, Scott. Thanks for the heads up, Kent. Post the links if you make more.

Bill Rogers
08-15-2011, 1:48 PM
Scott,

I wanted to ask you, who made the nice comment about your Youtube video?

What an articulate guy, and good looking too. Doesn't sound like he's from Texas though. Good job Scott.

debzam (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/user/debzam) 1 week ago

Bill

Kent A Bathurst
08-15-2011, 3:01 PM
Thank you Kent. MTV?

Yeah - I know - a bit over-the-top with the poetic license. I just figured that would get more clicks than saying "how to clean a brush". :D :D

Bob Wingard
08-15-2011, 3:38 PM
Gotta give you credit for this one, Scott. Even though it's information that most folks already (should) know, your presentation didn't talk down to anyone who did. Very concise and to the point.

If you're going to be the official "published expert", does that mean I can't fight with you anymore ??? NAH ... what was I thinking ???:confused:

Prashun Patel
08-15-2011, 3:38 PM
Nice to put a face to all the great and generous advice. Scott and the other pros make SMC a really precious find for guys like me.

Scott Holmes
08-15-2011, 4:22 PM
That's my cousin Debbie; she always rubs it in that I was not born in Texas, she was. I got back here as quick as I could.
I did attend Kindergarden and 3rd grade in Galveston, texas; spend most summers there, too.

Jeff Monson
08-15-2011, 6:10 PM
Nice video Scott, congrats on the articles. Your professional advice is always nice to read, and much appreciated.

Phil Thien
08-15-2011, 8:07 PM
Great video. The brush cleaning kinda reminded me of the "SNL anal retentive chef" bit (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/cooking-with-the-anal-rententive-chef/2867/), but that probably explains why none of my brushes last more than 20 or 30 uses.

Jim Becker
08-20-2011, 5:14 PM
Congratulations, Scott!

Marty Paulus
08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Great video. The brush cleaning kinda reminded me of the "SNL anal retentive chef" bit (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/cooking-with-the-anal-rententive-chef/2867/), but that probably explains why none of my brushes last more than 20 or 30 uses.

I have to agree the most informative part was the cleaning. I have been hesitant to buy a brush for more then about $10 but after watching that video I may have to spend the money on a good brush. I am going to guess that with a change to the approiate cleaner that technique would apply to most finishes.

Scott Holmes
08-22-2011, 7:44 PM
Added tips for my SMC friends... Thanks for watching.

It's even a faster clean-up if you use lacquer thinner instead of the citrus cleaner. Still use the soap and water and when doing your final rinse in water... once you think it's soap free. Keep rubding the brush into your palm you will be amazed at how much soap you may have missed. If soap suds come back rinse and repeat. You don't want to leave soap in the brush.

Dave Jurek
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Definately agree!!

Scott Holmes
09-25-2011, 9:26 PM
OK Kent, I've updated my Avitar

"The only negative thing that I saw in the video..........Scott, 'ol pal.......your avatar photo is a few grey hairs out of date, I'm afraid. :D"

... to the picture they will be using in the Dec/Jan 2012 issue of American Woodworker Magazine.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Mike Konobeck
09-26-2011, 1:54 AM
Scott,

I am new to woodworking/finihsing and I have noticed your consistent posts you have provided to all SMC members, including mysefl. Thank you for all that you do and congratulations on the future article. Well deserved and hopefully you continue to be recognized.

As for the brush cleaning video. Bought some very nice brushes and picked up some great tips on keeping the brushes clean. Thanks again.

Kent A Bathurst
09-26-2011, 9:29 AM
OK Kent, I've updated my Avitar

"The only negative thing that I saw in the video..........Scott, 'ol pal.......your avatar photo is a few grey hairs out of date, I'm afraid. :D"

... to the picture they will be using in the Dec/Jan 2012 issue of American Woodworker Magazine.

Thanks again for the kind words.

You're still a handsome devil, Scott. And now, the color of your hair matches mine. :D :D

Jim Rimmer
09-26-2011, 1:00 PM
You're still a handsome devil, Scott. And now, the color of your hair matches mine. :D :D
I noticed your avatar doesn't have your silver locks depicted. :D

Kent A Bathurst
09-26-2011, 1:04 PM
I noticed your avatar doesn't have your silver locks depicted. :D

And it never will. I'll give you this much - my last haircut was mid-October 2008. Returning to the pony-tailed hippie days of my misspent youth.

EDIT: Oops - wrong year on the haircut. Going on 3 years now.

Harold Burrell
09-26-2011, 8:11 PM
Good job, Scott!

Most of what you said in the video was new to me. Thanks!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
09-27-2011, 12:36 PM
A few guys come to mind on this site who are not only talented, unique craftsmen, but freely give of their time and expertise to the throng of we novices - Scott is among that small group. Thanks Scott for your past, personal help for me and Congrats on the AW writing gig! Can't wait to see the Dec issue! Jeff

Brian Kent
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Scott, I am following your video for the finish of the white oak outdoor table (on this thread:)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170717-Building-an-Outdoor-Sunburst-Dining-Table

I even got a stainless steel pan that looks like yours. So far so good. This is so much better for me than just written words. Thank you Scott.

Brian

Carl Swanson
10-20-2011, 4:45 AM
Hey Scott,

Nice video, and thanks for pointing out the benefit of frayed ends. I've always looked at that feature
of bristles as negative, due to the lack of control (like for example, cutting latex paint in corners) and
yielding a clean line.

Any tips on fully reviving an old brush that was used primarily for latex painting to be reborn as
a varnishing brush? It seems there's always a tiny trace amount of residue left behind, no matter how
much elbow grease and brush cleaner used.

Thanks for your contributions to SMC,
Carl

Chuck George
10-20-2011, 8:16 AM
Scott, very nicely done! Never thought too much about saving the MS but at today's cost, makes a lot of sense.

Kent, thanks for posting the link.

Chuck

Brian Kent
10-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Saving the mineral spirits and reusing it has helped me with the disposal problem.

Scott Holmes
10-20-2011, 2:09 PM
Carl,

Cleaning an old paint brush can be done with a chemical stripper. If it's a quality brush you should be able to restore it's usefulness. I don't think it's worth cleaning a cheap brush; it may fall apart. I don't think a good latex paint brush would be a good choice for varnish. Latex paints (all water-borne) are best applied with a synthetic bristle and oil based varnishes are better applied with a natual bristle.

I use a brush for only one type of finish; even if it could be used for more than one type.

e.g. varnish and shellac. I still don't share between finish types.