PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Mr. Keeton

Jack Tyree
08-15-2011, 8:47 AM
It's been quite awhile since I've been able to post anything, I apologize for being a "lurker", but I've been working pretty hard and long hours.

I had been trying to come with a meaningful present for the secretary of the treasury on our 25th anniversary, when I remembered a post from Mr. Keeton from some time ago. Well sir, I stole your fine idea for myself and this is what I came up with. I am very proud of it and think it will be a great big hit. Thanks very much for the inspiration and I think you saved my bacon.;)

It's an old piece of cherry and the last piece I had. It's finished with Mahoney's Walnut oil and his wax too. I am also very thankful to the nice lady that did the laser engraving as she came up with the the font and the extra hearts & flourishes. It's about 11.5 inches in diameter.

Thanks again Mr. K.

John Keeton
08-15-2011, 8:55 AM
Wow, Jack! I like yours better than the one I did! Great job, and I love the finish. The engraver did a wonderful job with the layout and font selection, too. I think you have improved on the idea considerably.

And, congrats on the anniversary!

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2011, 9:22 AM
Jack that is beautiful. Well done.

Jon Prouty
08-15-2011, 10:03 AM
What great platter! Something to be treasured - congrats on the 25!

Norm Zax
08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I wish I were that secretary of the treasury! Very well done and beautiful slab.

Betty Fox
08-15-2011, 10:36 AM
She's gonna cry. I would. Beautiful platter oh and the writin' on it's alright too.
Betty

Mark Hubl
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
That came out beautiful. Really wonderful gift I am sure the Mrs. will love it and show it off proudly. By the congrats on the anniversary!!

Tim Thiebaut
08-15-2011, 2:20 PM
Jack you did an incredible job on that, very well done!

Sid Matheny
08-15-2011, 2:27 PM
She is going to be very happy with that beauty. Just wonderful!

Sid

Baxter Smith
08-15-2011, 2:28 PM
Very nice job Greg! Great color and a wonderful way to use that piece of wood!

Roger Chandler
08-15-2011, 4:20 PM
Fantastic form Jack.......very well conceived and turned.........the bead on the rim, the shape of the platter as it transitions from outside to inside.......all the beading in the transition areas.......and of course the engraving..........just superb!

I might just have to keep this in mind for special occasions myself!

Ed Morgano
08-15-2011, 4:31 PM
Jack, That is beautiful. I love the engraving too. I havwe a CNC router but can't come close to that work. Thanks for sharing and I know it will be a hit.

Jack Tyree
08-15-2011, 5:20 PM
Thanks everybody for your very kind comments. I'm giving it to her Saturday at a surprise (I hope) party at the camper. I can hardly wait!

David E Keller
08-15-2011, 7:53 PM
That's a gorgeous platter! Congrats on the milestone!

Mike Cruz
08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Jack, I'm sure that the inscription "next to you, next to me" is inspired by the country song...but if it isn't, did you know about the song? BTW, beautiful plate!

Kathy Marshall
08-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Wow! That plate is gorgeous, excellent engraving and excellent wood! I think she is going to love it! and Congrats on 25 years!

Michelle Rich
08-16-2011, 8:15 AM
congrats on 25....very cool platter!

Michael Short
08-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Jack,

I share the same wedding day as you. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary on August 23rd as well. Congratulations. Love the platter.

Jack Tyree
08-16-2011, 3:15 PM
Jack, I'm sure that the inscription "next to you, next to me" is inspired by the country song...but if it isn't, did you know about the song? BTW, beautiful plate!

Yep, we used to get a kick out of that song when we first started out together, especially the part about the barbecued chicken and aluminum foil. I have never seen anyone use as much foil as she does. Thanx again everybody for all the swell comments - you really made me feel good!

Jack Tyree
08-16-2011, 3:24 PM
Jack,

I share the same wedding day as you. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary on August 23rd as well. Congratulations. Love the platter.

Wow, what a small world! Cograts to you and yours'. Best wishes for another 25!

Matt Ranum
08-16-2011, 6:08 PM
Been more of a lurker myself since work has me hopping but gotta say that this goes in my inspiration file. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Toney Robertson
08-16-2011, 7:48 PM
Wonderful platter. No doubt she will love it.

Ed Morgano
02-14-2012, 2:53 PM
Jack,
I know this post is sort of old, but I remembered it and I'm glad. I'm attempting a Walnut crotch platter and was looking for a good form. Between this one and the Aniversary Platter that John Keeton did, I have some great material to work with. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Rinehart
02-14-2012, 3:24 PM
Very nice commemerative piece...can't think of anything I'd change. Nice to have so many folks around to draw inspiration from, isn't it! I know I don't take it for granted. Thanks to everyone who contributes pieces and wisdom, and this is another!

Tom Winship
02-14-2012, 4:15 PM
Great Platter, Jack. I keep postponing one for my brother and SIL who turned their 50th last year. Better get started, mine is coming up. Who did the engraving, or was it local?

Ed Morgano
02-14-2012, 4:54 PM
Tom,
I commented on another anniversary platteer that John Keeton did. He had his engraved at a local woodcraft store. You might check that out. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175743-50th-Anniversary-Platter