PDA

View Full Version : Jepson power tools?

Chris Kennedy
08-15-2011, 8:34 AM
Does anybody know anything about Jepson power tools? I found their website, but it doesn't seem particularly informative.

A colleague's husband passed away and she is trying to move some of his tools, and asked me about them. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Dan Friedrichs
08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
20 years ago, my dad bought a Jepson cordless drill, and it was 99% identical to a popular Makita at the time (even took the same batteries). Are the tools you're looking at handheld stuff?

Chris Kennedy
08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
The main item I know of is a 12" table saw. I don't know if I want it, but I told her if that I didn't, I would find out what I could and try to help her sell it.

Gregory King
08-15-2011, 1:26 PM
About 15 years ago at work, we bought a Jepson skilsaw. A clone to the Makita in looks only. The motor bearing went in no time flat. Basically the whole thing was junk. Stick with Makita. The only replacement part that I have ever purchased for my own 7 1/4" Makita skilsaw was a switch.

Dave Lehnert
08-15-2011, 6:23 PM
Jepson was/is a OEM for tools. They sold tools under their own name through Trust Worthy Hardware stores. (and maybe others) I remember talking to a rep at a trade show many years ago. At that time they were big into nail guns.

Geoff Barry
08-15-2011, 7:10 PM
I have a few Jepson tools - a local hardware store occasionally sells them during thir "tent sale." When I was first starting out, I bought a biscuit joiner for $40, a reciprocating saw for $40, and a 15 amp plunge router for $50. All three work, but they are not refined tools. I replaced the router soon after. I don't often use either of the other two - they're OK for occasional use, but you have to work around their limitations, and I have no idea if they're reliable.