PDA

View Full Version : Canarywood, Mesquite and Acrylic

Mark Hix
08-14-2011, 9:31 PM
It was not 200 degrees in the garage this weekend so I turned a couple. They are all Jrs. The yellow acrylic had a PSI sticker on it but I don't remember getting it.

The second pen (3rd photo) is canarywood and was a dream to turn and finish. I've made some bowls and hollow forms out of canarywood before but this is the first pen. It does not have alot of color in it but still makes a nice pen.

The third pen is some mesquite left over from a large chunk that was used for peppermills. Ususally I just us CA for the finish, this time I tried first using Danish oil to darken it just a little. It really did not make much difference in the color when you compare it to wood from the same batch but you never know until you try.

I turned a fourth one and did everything but assemble it. It was an acrylic labled "moondust" that I picked up somewhere. It looked black before it was turned and kind of purplish after it was buffed. Unfortunantly, it looked like dust under an acrylic finish when it was turned so it will be euthanized and become an organ donar. Don't tell PETPB.

As always, any thought to make me a better turner are appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2011, 9:35 PM
Really nice looking pens. I do like the third one.