PDA

View Full Version : Original AnchorSeal??

James Combs
08-14-2011, 8:54 PM
Mike Willeson's thread "How many coats of anchorseal... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171036-How-many-coats-of-anchorseal...)" reminded me that I need some. Does anyone know of a source for the original Anchorseal. I have maybe a cupful left and I still have turning blanks that need coated. I am looking for the original version because I seem to recall a thread on here that talked about how the new stuff isn't as good. Is the original even still available?

Dan Hintz
08-14-2011, 8:57 PM
Directly from UC Coatings... about $75 shipped for 5-gal, if memory serves.

Bill Bolen
08-14-2011, 9:03 PM
Yep, you will have to call too. The number is on their web site. Just specify you want the classic or original.

Jon Nuckles
08-14-2011, 10:13 PM
It was $82 shipped to Chicago. I think the price also varies according to winter and summer formulations.

William Bachtel
08-16-2011, 9:22 PM
1-888 end coat

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2011, 9:26 PM
Yep $82 shipped for the original. Hate that new anchorseal.

Donny Lawson
08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the info. When I use the new stuff I should save my money and use nothing because the new stuff is like putting nothing on even after several coats. I bought a new gallon of anchorseal and have used 3/4 of it and 85% of my items are showing signs of checking or has already cracked. I add more anchorseal but it keeps cracking. I say let's put in a vote to bring back the good stuff to the stores.

Dan Hintz
08-17-2011, 7:12 AM
The new formula was introduced to reduce shipping and hazardous materials handling costs for UC, so expect it to hang around (though they will hopefully improve it over time). If you don't feel like wasting the new formula you have on hand, dip the blanks rather than painting it on... that will give you a thicker coat with less work and should help mitigate the cracking. I now dip even with the original formula... may be a bit wasteful, but it practically guarantees water loss will be minimal.

Chris Burgess
08-17-2011, 8:21 AM
Yea, I just cut up a bunch of Oak Burl and got a good bit of checking on it even though I completley coated it in the new seal. May have to look into the original after this gallon is gone. Gonna go out today and apply a second coat to everything I cleaned up yesterday and anything else not checking. I cant stand putting all that work into preping blanks just to lose thm to checking. Really gets me becasue I cant even cook with it becasue of the seal.

James Combs
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks folks, exactly what I was looking for and it appears that a few others also appreciate the info. Thanks again. Love this place.;)

Scott T Smith
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
James, if there is a chance that you will store the anchorseal in an unheated location, consider buying the "winter forumla". I use it all year long.

Donny Lawson
08-17-2011, 6:32 PM
Yea, I just cut up a bunch of Oak Burl and got a good bit of checking on it even though I completley coated it in the new seal. May have to look into the original after this gallon is gone. Gonna go out today and apply a second coat to everything I cleaned up yesterday and anything else not checking. I cant stand putting all that work into preping blanks just to lose thm to checking. Really gets me becasue I cant even cook with it becasue of the seal.

Chris, I hope you have better luck than I have. I gave some oak burls 2,3 and even 4 coats but it still cracked.