PDA

View Full Version : Epilog mini 24

Shawn Cavaretta
08-14-2011, 8:45 PM
i am having some issues with my mini.

i noticed it yesterday. when i am cutting left to rigth i am getting bumpy lines.

i also noticed that my lens has a scratch on it.

the laser is aligned dead center so it is not an alignement issue

the encoder strip and all the mirors are clean.

any ideas?

thanks
shawn

Craig Matheny
08-14-2011, 8:51 PM
When you say bumps is it dots?

Shawn Cavaretta
08-14-2011, 9:12 PM
the line is wavy i would upload a pic but the site wont allow me to it says the file is to large

Shawn Cavaretta
08-14-2011, 9:15 PM
here is a photo of the problem

Martin Boekers
08-14-2011, 9:45 PM
It's hard to tell from the picture. A few questions...

Has this file worked properly before?
If yes not sure.

If you haven't used it before.
Did you create it?
It has the appearance that someone scanned it and traced it.
If this was a low res image to start with that can create issues in the trace.
Try magnifying the image and see if the lines are absolutely straight.
If not you can convert to curves and correct them. While in curves you can attach the spaces in the parts also.
I'm guessing that these parts are all the same and just duplicated for the quantity.
If so are the "wavy" lines the same? if so then it probably is a file issue.
If they are duplicated but each one is different than there are other issues than the file.
Did you try drawing a straight line and see if you get a similar result?

As you see there can be quite a few things that can cause this besides the laser.

Where is the scratch on the lense? Does it go right through the middle. (the middle is the most important part of it)
If after all the above have been checked. You could take the lense out and rotate it ninety degrees and see if it's the same.

You could also test one piece and rotate it vertically and check how that works.

Let us know when you get it figured out.

Shawn Cavaretta
08-14-2011, 10:11 PM
the file was drawn by me i have cut off it before with out any issue. it was drawn and is being cut out of autocad. i have tried different files and it is doing the same. i also rotated the lense 90 degreese and it is still doing it.

any other ideas

Martin Boekers
08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Dang! You may check the tension on your X-Axis belt.

Is it the same pattern on the one you rotated or is it "wavy" in other spots?

Shawn Cavaretta
08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
belt is tight

and it is wavy in other spots

Martin Boekers
08-14-2011, 11:13 PM
I gave it my best. I am assuming this is a vector. When I clean the encoder strip
I also do the reader. It only takes a few minutes. It's easy for a piece of dust or
hair to get in there and create havoc.

I guess it could be the lens, if the scratch goes through the center.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I guess it's a call to Epilog tomorrow.
Good luck I hope it isn't too expensive and they can get you going quickly!

Mike Null
08-15-2011, 6:06 AM
I am inclined to think this may be a dirt or bearing issue--more likely dirt. How long since you cleaned your x axis rail and lubed it?

There is no reason to think it's a lens problem as most of the engraving is ok.

Michael Hunter
08-15-2011, 7:58 AM
First thing to check is that the mirror/lens assembly is screwed up tight to the carriage on the rail.
I have had the same thing and the assembly was just a tiny bit loose.

Bearing wear gives a similar problem, but the "waves" would normally be much smaller (unless the bearing is about to fall apart completely).

David Fairfield
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
I had a similar problem, diagnosed as a slightly loose belt. There is a simple procedure for putting the proper tension on the belt. Call Epilog. I also get some wobble near 90 degree corners, when running at or close to 100% speed, slowing it down minimizes.

Shawn Cavaretta
08-16-2011, 12:14 PM
called epilog and they think it is the x axis motor so i have one on the way should have it thursday and will see if that fixes it

Martin Boekers
08-16-2011, 12:41 PM
I just replaced an X Axis motor on my Legend 36 EXT I wasn't aware that they had
modified it by adding a cooling fan in back of the motor. You may want to check and see if yours
has one. If not check with Epilog and see if it is needed. They sent one for both engravers.