PDA

View Full Version : Nailer/ Compressor help needed!!

Jerry Olexa
02-20-2005, 5:38 PM
OK guys, starting to look @ air compressors and nailers . Will be doing some walls in my workshop soon and decided to finally treat myself to a framing nailer as well as later (what I really need ) a brad nailer. Of course, need an air compressor. Realizing I'm a hobbyist and with a bad back ,(don't want a 200lb monster), what should I look for and what really matters? Is CFM the key ? how about HP, tank size and PSI? Should I get oil-less or direct drive or belt drive? What brands do you guys reco? AND what nailers are the best and what sizes should I get for WWing? Do u need a finish nailer if you have a brad nailer? Anyway, you help/ advice will be a big help!! This post shows how little I know about this subject. For years, I have resisted because I dreaded the idea of dragging around the compressor and the wire. Thanks in advance...:confused: :D

Dan Mages
02-20-2005, 5:46 PM
If you are buying this as a hobbyist and don't plan on doing any major construction, I would reccomend looking at the compressor and nailer bundle kits offered by Bostich, Porter Cable, etc... I have an old, but trusty Bostich compressor and a few nailers and they have done well. They are usually a good deal compared to purchasing the items separately. You will find many uses for a brad nailer when you do your ww projects and around the house. The rest of the info is beyond my experience and knowledge.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-20-2005, 6:38 PM
Jerry,

As Dan said, if you are only looking to run nailers, you could get by with one of the combos that go on sale every now and then. It would be a very good buy.

Tank size = the volume of air in reserve.

CFM is the amount of air that the compressor will put out at a said PSI. You will need a very high CFM compressor if you want to run automotive air rachets, spray guns, etc.

As you can see, you need to think about what you want to use the compressor for, then size it accordingly. Almost any compressor can run a finish nailer. :) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2005, 7:28 PM
Jerry, there are a couple of things to take into consideration. As stated by others......cfm, tank size, belt or direct drive, oil or oil-less. I bought a vertical tank because it takes up less space. I bought a compressor requiring oil because people I talked to said that the life is longer than for oil-less compressor. I bought a compressor that is belt driven because I figured if the motor went, I could just replace the motor. I bought one with a large enough tank and cfm rating to operate sprayers, air tools and nailers.

Tim Morton
02-20-2005, 7:34 PM
Hey jerry...I have the PC pancake compressor, and it runs a framing nailer just fine. The 2 things I don't like about it would be the noise...its loud. And it is too small to use with a blow gun attached to it. I like blowing out my TS from time to time, or other things....and a bigger tank would be helpful. But if you are planning on dragging it along then you will need a small tank. The dewalt that the guy who built my garage was much lighter and quieter, which only means it must have been more expensive. If i had to do it again i would shop for a quieter unit. Good luck!!

Tom Peterson
02-20-2005, 8:57 PM
Jerry,
Any of the major brands will serve you. You may want to consider the tool combo's of the framing nailer and brad nailer and get a bigger compressor. I use an oil compressor with belt drive and it is quieter. The larger capacity has helped for drywall texture, spray painting and auto repairs. I have a couple of air lines run in the basement and garage. If I have a small job to do, I fill up an air tank and use that for the brad nailer. Other than that I run hose to where I need to go. Hoses are cheap compared to back pain. BTW I have use PC without any complaints or problems.

Bill Bezilla
02-20-2005, 9:11 PM
Hi Jerry

I'm fairly new to the Creek and have been mostly lurking in the background reading post when I get a chance.
i just went through this process and ended up with a Makita for one main reason
noise. Most of the new Makita compressors run at 1750 RPM instead of the
typical 3400 ~3600RPM.

Good luck!

Bill Bezilla

Jim Andrew
02-20-2005, 9:42 PM
Just to add my .02, I have spent 30 years doing construction, and the
best nailers I have run across are Hitachi. Have had Senco, Bostitch,and
some other names that elude me right now, but the Hitachi needs less
service than any other brand I have ever had. Jim

Rob Blaustein
02-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Jerry,
A few years ago my wife needed to install a bunch of baseboard and moulding and bought a Thomas T-30HP 1-1/4 HP 4.5 Gallon Pancake Tank Compressor from Amazon. It's not cheap (over $300) but it works great, it's oil-less, and it's very quiet (apparently these things can be very loud). At 50 lbs, it's not all that light, but you can move it around when you need to. The reviews on Amazon are uniformly great, for what it's worth. There's a review of 18 guage brad nailers in the Jan/Feb 04 issue of Fine Woodworking (#168).
-Rob

John Hulett
02-20-2005, 11:43 PM
A couple of years ago, I got the $99 C'man 1 gallon as a gift. It works great for my finish nailer, but even on the occasional airing up of the car tires takes a lot longer than I would like. It does it, but slowly. As a woodworker (a really new one in my case), I would definintely be looking at spray finish capability if shopping for a new compressor. As others have said, ANY compressor will run a nailer; you should be thinking about what else you might want to use it for. Spray finish, paint, texture, pneumatic sanders, pneumatic wrenches, pneumatic grinders, pneumatic whatever!

Jerry Olexa
02-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Hi Jerry

Most of the new Makita compressors run at 1750 RPM instead of the
typical 3400 ~3600RPM.

Good luck!

Bill Bezilla
Is lower RPM better? as it affects noise and power etc. Thanks

Bob Wilkerson
02-21-2005, 6:38 AM
Don't know how rpm affects the noise but I prefer oil-lubed units to keep noise down in portable compressors. My site punch compressor is direct drive and oil lubed, daily use unit is oil-lubed honda gas engine powered belt drive, and the shop compressor is oil-lubed belt drive 175 psi FWIW.

Bob

Jerry Olexa
02-21-2005, 3:09 PM
Spent some time this AM in the local BORG and Menards looking over the compressors and nail guns. I decided a framing nailer is not in my future. They are big, cumbersome (to me) and a bit pricey and need higher CFM and I'd seldom use them. I'm amazed one PC kit for $400 runs a framing nailer off a pancake?! So its looks like my primary need is running a finish nailer (15ga) and whatever compressor it takes to run that (and maybe a little extra). Looks like 2.6CFM is the magic minimum # for this type use. I've seen some really handy, lighter weight. 2.6 units on wheels but have reservations about the brand (in this case, Coleman). Looks like I can get in the game for about $250 and later get a brad nailer tho at this point, I don't know if I need both. A little knowledge is dangerous...:D Am I on the right track? Love to know your favorite tips,
brands... Gracias..

Tom Ghesquiere
02-21-2005, 4:32 PM
Several years ago I bought a big Craftsman compressor because I wanted to be sure I had enough air. I overdid it, it takes up too much space in the garage! I use it mainly for keeping air in the car and mower tires and for a brad nailer, which has turned out to be a highly used tool. I bought the $89. Porter Cable model and have been really impressed. Only wish I had the pancake compressor so it was a more mobile outfit. IMHO, you will find the brad nailer will become one of the 10 most used tools in your shop.

Karl Laustrup
02-21-2005, 4:51 PM
Jerry. I know just about enough about compressors to really get in trouble, but thought I'd throw this out to you.

From what I've seen a framing nailer is quite expensive unless you are going to use it a LOT. How about renting one from the local rent all place? It's gotta be cheaper than buying, especially for a one time use. I guess they would rent those.

Good luck.

Bill Bezilla
02-21-2005, 5:39 PM
Is lower RPM better? as it affects noise and power etc. Thanks
Lower RPM is better when it is done right like Makita has done it.
You can either run a small ore engine fast or a larger bore engine slow.

Check out the CFM and pressure on the Makita - they are very competitive

Either way oil lube is the only way to go. If you have not used a pancake compressor in a confined space - IMHO if it is pumping at 3600 RPM it is noisy! even if it is oil lubed

You can check out reviews at Amazon.

Features:
<LI class=small>Roll bar handle for portability and added protection against harsh jobsite environments <LI class=small>High rated 3.3 CFM @ 90 PSI <LI class=small>The low 1720 rpm is half that of most competitive units, resulting in greater motor and pump life, and the substantially lower noise level makes it the quietest compressor in its class <LI class=small>Large cast iron pump with automotive style cylinder and piston deliver maximum performance
Oil lubricated for cooler running pump and an automotive style air filter for easy, low-cost maintenance

Mike Holbrook
02-21-2005, 7:26 PM
I just recently bought my third air compressor. For what its worth I keep buying smaller and smaller ones. I have run a 15 gauge Hitachi finishing gun and a framing gun (two people working) on a small Fini max PSI 116, 8 CFM (maybe $200) many, many, times with no problems. Fini makes some of the big name compressors. Keep in mind that construction guys may be running 3 -4 or more guns on those big compressors, driving many more nails per minuet than you ever will. My framing gun runs on about the same pressure as my heavy duty Hitachi 15 gauge finishing gun and they seem to put about the same load on my compressors.

There are two kinds of compressor. One has a big air supply and is used by mechanic etc. to run air driven ratchets etc. These tools fire many times in very fast succession and will run a small tank out of air before one bolt gets removed. The other type is usually used for nail guns that just fire once, requiring much less air supply. The smaller tank, nail gun type compressors get more expensive as the motor gets better at filling those tanks up in less time. My Honda gasoline driven compressor fills them up fast but it is loud enough to wake the dead. The Honda I got for outdoor use in places where I might not have electricity. The quieter, electric Fina I got for indoors.

I finally wised up when my builder buddy showed up with his compressor one day. It was a little one tank Cambell Hausfield, a third the weight of my "small" Fina. We ran all the guns on it with no problem. He says he has run all his guns on it for about 10 years. Yea it says it is for finishing guns or smaller. But if a $100 compressor that weighs 1/3 as much and is 1/3 as noisy lasts 10 years doing construction work....

Well I marched up to the Depot and bought myself a Husky 2SCFM @ 90 PSI, 135 PSI max, 1.75 gal. compressor. It runs all my guns, Framing, Finishing, Staples etc. with no problem. I have not had it long but I have not used the other compressors since. My experience is the ease of using a compressor is a major factor. I think you will find you use the small compressor much more. My Fina is now resting in one spot in the shop and probably want move from that spot. The little curly 1/4 inch hose is much easier to deal with than 50 feet of heavy duty hose. If you are just using one gun, mostly working alone I think you will be much happier in the long run with a light compressor.

Tim Morton
02-21-2005, 7:27 PM
Spent some time this AM in the local BORG and Menards looking over the compressors and nail guns. I decided a framing nailer is not in my future. They are big, cumbersome (to me) and a bit pricey and need higher CFM and I'd seldom use them.

When I went shopping for a framing nailer to do my basement remodel I thought the same thing. I picked up the PC GR350 and the Bostich framing nailer and thought ...MAN this sucker is HUGE. Then I looked up on the top shelf and saw something called FC350 by porter cable...the case was half the size of the FR350 so i climber up and pulled it down. It was a clipped head framing fun and it felt great in my hand, and the price was right...so i lugged it home and LOVE it!!! Yes you will get the "I would only buy a full round head framing nailer" from most people....but don't rule it out completely until you look into it more.

Matt Meiser
02-21-2005, 7:34 PM
If you can find a reconditioned nailer, you can save some money. I bought a full-head PC nailer for less the same price as the clipped head units cost. It was cheaper to buy than to rent for a couple weeks, which is how long I would have needed. Its come in handy more than a couple times since and will last me a lifetime I'm sure. Also, consider that you could probably resell it for almost what you pay, maybe more on Ebay.

I'm very happy with my Ingersoll-Rand compressor, but it is way bigger than what it sounds like you want. Tractor Supply started carrying some of their smaller models. Keep in mind that oilless compressors are considerably louder than oil free. Based on the reviews I read when I was buying mine, consumer grade compressors (mainly ones by Campbell Hausfeld) are generally decent, but I saw more than a couple references to people having to return one or more to find one that didn't leak from fittings or gaskets.

Jerry Olexa
02-21-2005, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Holbrook]IWell I marched up to the Depot and bought myself a Husky 2SCFM @ 90 PSI, 135 PSI max, 1.75 gal. compressor. It runs all my guns, Framing, Finishing, Staples etc. with no problem. I have not had it long but I have not used the other compressors since. My experience is the ease of using a compressor is a major factor. QUOTE]

Mike good info. My hangup w compressors has always been hauling them around and the hose, etc. Thats why I never considered any of them till now. Those small units are appealing: small, light weight and wheels. As long as CFM is there, should work. Can you really run all those guns including a framing nailer off it? I know PC runs a framer off a pancake in their kit.. I agree "ease of use" is a BIG factor. Thanks.

Mike Holbrook
02-22-2005, 1:50 AM
Compressors

Of course you can't run several at the same time but I have used the framer and Hitachi finisher on my buddies and mine without any problems. Worse case, you might have to wait a few seconds for the tank to top up.

I do much more with the little one since it is so easy to haul around. The built in wheels and telescoping handle are very convenient too.

Nailers

I forgot you asked about nailers too. I love my Hitachi 15 gauge finisher (angled). I use it for tacking things together as well as finishing. It is so much easier to use than the big framer, angled shots, getting into tight places & just lugging it. I frequently put a few 15's in things to hold them in place, tap those studs straight then hit them with a few from the big boy. Support blocks etc. are just fine with nothing but the 15 gauge & it does not tear and split like the big nails. I put an entire deck for a pool in with my 15 gauge Hitachi, it was the only thing that could counter sink in rubbery Choice Deck (Cedar & plastic). I could not get screws in the stuff reliably either, even with predrilled holes (they tend to expand and hold the heads up. The 15 countersunk & then the holes mostly closed over them. Before anyone says I am crazy, that deck has been down seven years without a single nail rising.

If you are on a budget SUPCO, I am told, uses mostly Hitachi parts. My framer and brad gun are SUPCO's. If I had to do it all again I would use all Hitachi guns, IMHO, the are worth every penny. There is something about them that you just don't appreciate until you have used them and the others. My last purchase was a Hitachi 3/8 inch stapler, same story as the 15 gauge, a real pleasure and countersinks just exactly where I want it every time.

Bob Wilkerson
02-22-2005, 6:52 AM
When working by myself I use a little Emglo portable unit to run framing and finishing nailers without any real problems. Light enough to pick up and carry but provides plenty of air. The only time it needs to catch up is when nailing sub-flooring or rapidly shooting a beam together. I think that they are now sold under the DeWalt name. Mine uses two small cylinders stacked on top of each other for air storage. I totally dislike the small P-C pancake units as they are so noisy that they give me a headache.

I like the Hitachi full head framing nailers best but have had great success with Senco and Duo-fast in the past. For finishing nailers I use Senco, PC. My micro-pinner is a Accuset to shoot 23 ga for small trim.

FWIW, the fellow that I worked for a few years ago bought a small $100 unit at Northern Tools to run his tools when working around the house. Works ok for intermittant use but wouldn't stand up to long term abuse(daily use).

Bob

Jerry Olexa
02-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Guys thanks for your valuable advice and input. This AM, bought the Porter Cable combo kit w 2 nailers (18ga and 16 ga) and pancake compressor etc. Good price/value. I like the PC nailers and that influenced me. Thanks Much!! I'll give you later a progress report! Off to the MW show!!