PDA

View Full Version : How many coats of anchorseal...

Mike Willeson
08-14-2011, 7:51 PM
...do you folks use? Does it vary depending on wood?

Thanks,
Mike

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2011, 7:52 PM
Mike - I usually coat the wood with one coat and then come back a day or two later and give it one more coat just to be sure. That usually works fine but I do go back and check periodically to make sure things aren't starting to check.

Dan Hintz
08-14-2011, 8:01 PM
Initially same as Steve, but ever since a fellow turner and I have been going through a boatload of blanks (some of which were splitting months later), we've started rolling the endgrain edge in a shallow bucket. It makes for a thick coating (thicker than two coats done by brush), so moisture loss is no longer an issue.

Dennis Ford
08-14-2011, 8:45 PM
I very rarely use more than one coat on a rough out but will do two coats on a chunk that I might not get around to roughing for a while.

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2011, 9:41 PM
+1 on Steve's method.

Jon Nuckles
08-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I do one coat on fresh cut log ends, but that coat is very heavy. I put the logs or half logs on end and pour the anchorseal on the top end, spread it around with a brush, and coat the first couple inches of face grain. When that has dried, I flip the logs and do the other ends the same way. The main reason I do it this way is that I don't have an outdoor area to do the work. I have to do it in my shop and it is less messy this way than trying to paint a heavy coat on a vertical surface.

No problems so far with this method. I don't anchorseal my roughouts unless there are some dangerous looking areas; just wrap in brown paper.