PDA

View Full Version : Coring Siberian ELM - Pic Heavy

Dale Bright
08-14-2011, 6:12 PM
I have not posted in a while. I have been busy but did stop in to read some posts most everyday. My big lathe was down for about 3 weeks and I just is it repaired early this past week. A friend of mine got a very large Siberian Elm log with a lot of burl. I helped him cut it up and here is a 17 inch bowl blank that I cored yesterday. I did a series of shots showing most of the sequence. It will take 2 posts for all of the photos.

Dale

Dale Bright
08-14-2011, 6:16 PM
Here are the rest of the Siberian Elm pics.

Dale

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-14-2011, 6:26 PM
Dale,
That makes the hefty price tag of the Oneway coring system worth every penny. That was quite a piece of wood. I'll bet you can't wait for the cores to dry.
faust

David E Keller
08-14-2011, 7:14 PM
Beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing the finished set!

Roger Chandler
08-14-2011, 9:08 PM
Beautiful burl wood........nice that you could save all that with coring........good stewardship of an exceptional piece of highly figured wood...........way to go Dale!

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2011, 9:34 PM
Beautiful wood and should make a nice set when finished.

charlie knighton
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
thanks for sharing, i have always been envious of coring

Jeff Nicol
08-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Dale, They are correct about that chunk of Siberian elm, it is a beauty. I love the bunch of eyes it has in it, one of the things I like about Siberian elm.

Nice coring job, I have a big cherry burl piece that I need to get cored one of these days, maybe you have inspired me!

Jeff

Harry Robinette
08-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Dale
Why the change up on coring sys.from McNaughton to Oneway for the last core.
Real nice job on the work and the wood is beautiful.

Norm Zax
08-15-2011, 3:03 AM
Saved a lot of bowls on that great wood! BTW, how does one grab hold of the inner bowls to complete when dry - sunken hole for inside clamping or glueing on a sacrificial tenon - whats your preference?

Dale Bright
08-15-2011, 5:53 AM
Dale
Why the change up on coring sys.from McNaughton to Oneway for the last core.
Real nice job on the work and the wood is beautiful.

Harry,

I changed to the Oneway coring system on the last bowl, because the McNaughton standard set was not quite big enough. The largest bowl is 15 inches in diameter and 7 inches deep. The largest blade for the McNaughton would have been big enough if the bowl had only been about 5 inches deep. I have the full Standard McNaughton set but for the Oneway system, I only have the 2 largest blades, so I started with the McNaughton and could have finished with it except for the size of the last bowl.

Dale

Dale Bright
08-15-2011, 6:05 AM
Saved a lot of bowls on that great wood! BTW, how does one grab hold of the inner bowls to complete when dry - sunken hole for inside clamping or glueing on a sacrificial tenon - whats your preference?

Norm,

When I return these bowls to the lathe, I will simply jam them against a chuck with the tail stock point in the center of the bottom, turn a tenon and reverse them into the chuck. There is plenty of thickness in the bowl bottoms for the tenon.

I have also roughed out 2 hollow forms and another 14 inch bowl from this log. The other 14 inch bowl was cored to give me a 9 inch side grain hollow form blank. I have enough of the log left to make 3 more hollow forms that will be about 7 - 8 iinches in diameter by about 6 inches deep and all side grain.

Dale

Russell Eaton
08-15-2011, 6:52 AM
That is some very nice wood. It make ya feel good to not sweep it all up and throw it away. Look forward to seeing some finished pics.

Baxter Smith
08-15-2011, 3:08 PM
Nice job Dale. That is some very pretty wood and a great time to have a coring system!