PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use 'resaw' bandsaws anymore?

Carl Beckett
08-14-2011, 5:56 PM
Hi all,

I happened to be in the search for a new band saw. Lots of posts here. But my question is, whether anyone uses the more dedicated 'resaw' bandsaws any more? Hitachi made one, as did Ryobi, that took a 3" blade and was made for resawing.

I got to see one of these in action recently, and made me wonder if there were benefits to these over a more versatile/traditional saw.

John Nesmith
08-14-2011, 6:15 PM
I've occasionally wondered what made a "resaw" bandsaw, a resaw bandsaw. Is it just the ability to take a wider blade? What is given up in exchange?

Carroll Courtney
08-14-2011, 7:40 PM
Try making a contour cut w/ 3" wide blade.I also look at a resaw machine acouple of yrs back,but I could not spend that kind of money on a BS that could only resaw and rip.If I had to resaw or rip for a living then maybe,but a nice blade on a good tuned up BS works just fine.Hardwood Suppliers use a horizontal BS w/auto feed to resaw to thin stock---Carroll

Rick Fisher
08-14-2011, 8:56 PM
IMO.. any bandsaw which has a dedicated feeder could be called a resaw bandsaw..

Those big Hitachi's often had a feeder attached..

I have a feeder for my SCM-600, but it actually reduces the flexibility of the saw, so its not installed.

David Kumm
08-14-2011, 9:30 PM
The Hitachi used a special thin body stellite blade as I recall to make the bend around the small diameter wheel. Although smaller, I can't imagine a benefit over a heavy duty conventional with a 1" carbide blade. The 3" most likely allowed for less tension while still making a straight cut but you were limited in changing over to smaller blades. They were sold back before the bandsaw manufacturers beefed up their smaller saws for resawing. Dave

Jeff Duncan
08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
In short....YES, people are still using them. Reason I know is I got outbid on one very recently. So that means at least 2 people (well actually more, but I don't remember how many individual bidders I went against), in my area were interested.

I do a fair amount of re-sawing so it would have been handy to have. Then I could keep a smaller blade on my other bandsaw for general purpose stuff and curved work.

JeffD

Rick Potter
08-16-2011, 3:10 AM
I have a 20 year old Ryobi. It has a 2" stellite blade on it, and it cost over $1800 new. My dad used it for cutting the sides of miniature orange crates he sold at craft shows. These days, we think of saws with height capacities of 12" or more, as resaw bandsaws. My Ryobi, with a 2" wide blade, and a 6" cut height, is a completely different animal. I understand they are popular with luthiers for making guitars.

The part I never understood about these saws is the motor. It looks like it is off a circular saw, and is a universal motor, kind of loud, but that's the way they came. Mine just sits, as I have no use for it.

Rick Potter

Rick Fisher
08-16-2011, 3:35 AM
I got thinking about this thead, I resaw all the time. Buy all my stock in 8/4 and also rip all my hardwood on the bandsaw.

To me, a dedicated resaw is all about space. I dont have the space for a second bandsaw, but it I did, I would have one for sure.

I cant imagine I am that different than other woodworkers.

Rodger Kanis
08-18-2011, 3:16 PM
Jeff,

Well... you're in luck! I saw this posting in Maine's Craigslist classifieds, as they spammed it out from their actual RI location:
http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/2553368207.html

They have a Hammer bandsaw from 2008 as well, same seller.

Regards,
Rodger

Rick Potter
08-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Yup,

That Hitachi in Maine is pretty much like my Ryobi. Check out the size of the motor on the backside, under the table, and you can see what I was talking about. My Ryobi was the cheaper alternative to the Hitachi, just like now.

Rick

Carl Beckett
08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes, I saw that CL listing.

But for that money, I can get a full size bandsaw which, as far as I can tell is more versatile and will resaw just fine. (meaning, I think this Maine CL ad is over priced - given that there doesnt seem to be any inherent advantage)

The Ryobi I saw did have a 14 amp 110V motor that looked like a skil saw. This was a concern, and more research does indicate its a problem for high through rates. I was able to run a sample board through though, and it cut adequately fast for what I need. The finish was quite good.

I started the original thread because I had a lead on a resaw type for under $500, and I was going to go for it (but was about 30min too late to the punch). Given I dont have infinite room, a full size more versatile model is what I will pursue.

-C