PDA

View Full Version : Workstations Complete!

Mark Singer
02-20-2005, 5:33 PM
Friday was transition day. We moved all the old black desks out of the way and I installed the tables and fascia panels. The legs are stainless. The desks are "L" shaped and float over the support file /storage linear unit. The drawers are all aligned. Monday we will transfer items back to the new workstations. I have 3 LCD flat monitors ordered. I will probably take a few shots after they come in and the mess is gone.

Mark Singer
02-20-2005, 5:35 PM
More pictures....

Marcus Hutchison
02-20-2005, 5:39 PM
Looks good Mark. Very professional. Is it for your office or a client?

Jerry Olexa
02-20-2005, 5:43 PM
Beautiful work, Mark!! Be sure to put my initials/signature on each desk :D.Seriously, as always,high quality results! You must have been wearing your Merrell Jungle Mocs when you did this project to produce such fine results!:)

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 5:45 PM
Those look wonderful, Mark. A "most excellent" execution of this project and it really adds a lot to the office space to have such a nice custom setup rather than the black desks.

Question...were you going to suspend something from the columns, outside of possible the monitors? More storage or privacy/noise panels? I'm just going by my often failed memory on this...

Dan Mages
02-20-2005, 5:48 PM
As usual, you have done an amazing job!

Mark Singer
02-20-2005, 6:05 PM
Jim,

Your memory is fine!!!!! We are still thinking about the privacy screens...everyone seems to like the open feeling. That is a pretty big project for my shop....it worked out well though. it will be more phogenic with the junk taken out and a bit of sunshine....not much of that this season...rain again today!

Those look wonderful, Mark. A "most excellent" execution of this project and it really adds a lot to the office space to have such a nice custom setup rather than the black desks.

Question...were you going to suspend something from the columns, outside of possible the monitors? More storage or privacy/noise panels? I'm just going by my often failed memory on this...

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 6:15 PM
Whew! I'm glad I wasn't halucinating...this wine is fine, but not THAT good!! (1999 Domain St Gayan - Rasteau, Côtes du Rhône Villiages)

Seriously, the privacy thing is certainly something that can be addressed later if the folks feel that they need a little more isolation for creative work. The columns will be there when and if you need them! ;)

Jim Dunn
02-20-2005, 6:21 PM
Hey, where's the window so I can day dream whilst looking at the mountains/ocean:) Looks nice though. Only thing I've seen made of chrome and wood and not look sterile. Is that a concrete floor? If so does it draw moisture?
Jim

Silas Smith
02-20-2005, 6:22 PM
Wonderful job Mark, I'm sure it will impress the new clients.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-20-2005, 6:41 PM
Mark they look great! If the people working at those desks commonly work together on the same tasks, they will love the open feeling. If they work separately on disimilar tasks, they will probably want more privacy. That is just what I have seen during our many reconstructions of our work area! They can't seem to find a happy medium.

All in all, they look wonderful, having a good looking space makes people feel much better about the work they do.

Mike Forsman
02-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Mark, I wish my office at work looked that good. They really are great.

John Miliunas
02-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Mark, that is truly Kustom, with a capital "K"!:) Looks great and each individual staffer has some great tabletop real estate, with lots of storage space to boot! Well done.:) :cool:

Christopher Stahl
02-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Mark, it's looking great. My office could use a make over if you have some time. ;)

chris

Keith Christopher
02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Mark,

Lovely work. unique and not someone walking in and saying, "Hey I ave the same workstations in my office. ;) " There is something to say about that also. You know everytime I see anything that uses stainless and wood I'm thinking, "That's a Mark Singer. :P "

Awesome work Mark as usual !

Keith

Jamie Buxton
02-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Mark --
What finish do you use on these, and how do you apply it?

John Hulett
02-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Very ADMIRABLE work, Mark. My shop-hat is off to you.

John Weber
02-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Mark,

Fine work as always, so are you hiring?

John

John Scarpa
02-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Mark,

They look great. I particularly like the floating aspect of the desks and the stainless supporting "columns". I'm sure you had to put lots of thought into the fab and assy process. A big order! And I hear you on the rain. I'm getting that feeling that we live in Seattle :)

John

Greg Tatum
02-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Mark, definately high-end work....what kind of wood? Did you use any special jigs to facilitate production? Would you use the same methods of construction again or did you find problems that needed work arounds? How are the legs attatched? ...Too many questions? Are we almost there? Can we stop and go on the rides?....I have to pee....sorry, got carried away....anyway, I like your work and designs.

Regards,
Greg

Dan Stuewe
02-21-2005, 1:28 PM
Mark,

They look great. I particularly like the floating aspect of the desks and the stainless supporting "columns". I'm sure you had to put lots of thought into the fab and assy process. A big order! And I hear you on the rain. I'm getting that feeling that we live in Seattle :)

John

Spent the weekend in Palm Springs with a friend from Seattle. He's trying to figure out what the big deal is with the "great weather" in So. Cal.

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 1:31 PM
You know Mark, I was just looking at the pictures of the workstations again and it struck me how much these accomodations mirror your architectural style with layering, material/texture, comfortable angularity and use of space. That's not just nice from a style perspective, but certainly should "make your mark" visible when a client or potential client visits your office.

Jim W. White
02-21-2005, 2:22 PM
To echo what Jim said below. They trully reflect your great sense of design AND attention to detail.

...Jim in Idaho

Jason Tuinstra
02-21-2005, 2:27 PM
Mark, I'm only echoing everyone else, but really great job with this project. I think many of us could adapt this and put it in our home office's or computer rooms. You certainly have the gears in my mind going for the new home. Thanks!

Dan Gill
02-21-2005, 2:42 PM
They look great! Now what are you going to do about the cinderblock walls?

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 4:32 PM
It's a textured and colored concrete block and is consistant with all the buildings on the property, including the residence. The pictures don't do justice to it... ;)

Mark Singer
02-21-2005, 5:11 PM
Good point ! I will have the block removed and replaced with 2x4's and sheet rock....then we will paint the paper surface and make it look like it is not paper...I will post some pic's as soon as that is complete!:confused:

Norman Hitt
02-21-2005, 5:29 PM
It's a textured and colored concrete block and is consistant with all the buildings on the property, including the residence. The pictures don't do justice to it... ;)

I had been wondering about those blocks, as I had noticed the uniform "Flecking" in the coloring of the blocks in the pics, and guessed that they were a "Special", high dollar block, and with installation by a truly Master Mason because of the uniforimity of straight lines and joint detail. We certainly don't get anything close to those Blocks here, and you have a choice of either inner side or outer side flat, but definitely not both, and only a very few masons here, will put forth the time and effort to get that line/joint quality and uniformity. (I know, as I've done MANY pre inspections and Punch Lists for a Major Building Contr. that I flew for at one time, to keep from getting Bored while waiting for the General Supt, who thought I was Very good at it And, I really enjoyed it).

Kent Cori
02-21-2005, 8:08 PM
Terrific job Mark. I really like the clean, modern lines of these units.

Mark Singer
02-22-2005, 3:40 AM
Jamie,
I used one coat of Daly's Ben Matte on the doors and 3 coats on the tables followed by Paste Wax

Mark --
What finish do you use on these, and how do you apply it?

Mark Singer
02-23-2005, 9:04 PM
With the help of 24 hour crews, we removed the block walls and installed 2x4 framing , sheet rock was then installed and the paper surface was painted to an off white. I used the crews from "Make Over" they were very fast and since they felt sorry for me , there was no charge! This will be be on one of the upcoming shows, so look for it. A big improvement!

John Miliunas
02-23-2005, 9:16 PM
With the help of 24 hour crews, we removed the block walls and installed 2x4 framing , sheet rock was then installed and the paper surface was painted to an off white. I used the crews from "Make Over" they were very fast and since they felt sorry for me , there was no charge! This will be be on one of the upcoming shows, so look for it. A big improvement!
Hey Mark, I'm ROTFLMAO!!!:D You're a stitch, I must say. BUT, you're a wonderful woodworker, an astounding architect and I'll bet you know your way around the CAD programs. That said, me thinks you should leave the Photoshop to those folks who use it daily!:D Great effort though, I must say!:) And I still love the space and the beautiful office furniture!:cool:

Bob Marino
02-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Mark,

Incredible job; just what we have all come to expect and Jim's correct; this is your style.

Bob

Dick Parr
02-24-2005, 8:39 AM
Beautiful work there Mark. Very nice indeed. :)

Dan Gill
02-24-2005, 9:19 AM

Just pulling your chain, Mark. ;) But I think Jim was right - the pictures don't do the walls justice. Now you need paint faux blocks on the walls.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-24-2005, 9:21 AM
Nicely done Mark!!! You are one fast and talented woodworker!

Darren Ford
02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I used the crews from "Make Over" they were very fast and since they felt sorry for me , there was no charge! This will be be on one of the upcoming shows, so look for it.
Had it been one of those shows, the walls would have been pink, the panels purple, and the workstations would be covered in some sort of velvet fabric.

Mark Singer
02-25-2005, 9:56 AM
Had it been one of those shows, the walls would have been pink, the panels purple, and the workstations would be covered in some sort of velvet fabric.
The pink velvet panels are being installed today....the workstions are getting a magenta faux treatment which is nicer then the wood. I would post new pics....John M. told me to stick to woodworking so I can't:confused:

John Miliunas
02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
The pink velvet panels are being installed today....the workstions are getting a magenta faux treatment which is nicer then the wood. I would post new pics....John M. told me to stick to woodworking so I can't:confused:
Oh...Sure. Blame it on the poor guy from Wisconsin!:( If it makes you feel any better, I can do even less with Photoshop!:o :) :cool:

Mark Singer
02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Sorry John I can't hear you...."Pencil in the Ear" I didn't want to lose it...:confused:
Oh...Sure. Blame it on the poor guy from Wisconsin!:( If it makes you feel any better, I can do even less with Photoshop!:o :) :cool:

Charlie Woods
02-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Like some of the others have said, I also like the clean lines of these pieces. It highlights more of the functionality, and visual strength of the piece with less fluff. I have noticed in some of your other work, the creative combination of exposed steel and wood. Way to go. They look great.
You said in an earlier post that you have built this style of work centers before. Do you have a set size for each piece, to help speed up the building, or are they built to custom dimensions?

Mark Singer
02-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Charlie,

I have never built workstations before. I have built several desks...in my older offices...my conference table, etc. I have made lots of European style cabinets and have refined my system over the years. The cabinets would be hard to make any more efficient to build. But, no I don't have a standard layout...we sort of just waved our arms in the air a bit...and made a few decisions.

Like some of the others have said, I also like the clean lines of these pieces. It highlights more of the functionality, and visual strength of the piece with less fluff. I have noticed in some of your other work, the creative combination of exposed steel and wood. Way to go. They look great.
You said in an earlier post that you have built this style of work centers before. Do you have a set size for each piece, to help speed up the building, or are they built to custom dimensions?