PDA

View Full Version : Pecan utility bowls

Dennis Ford
08-14-2011, 3:52 PM
I have been making a batch (there will be a total of 10 when I get the last three done) of pecan bowls. Several have handles, two are very plain and there are a couple of small platters from a crotch section. I am attaching one picture of each style. The platters have a wipe on poly finish, the rest are oiled & waxed. The small voids are filled with epoxy, the larger voids have epoxy & "green-gold stone" (from gilmerrockshop.com). The stone fill does not show up in the photos but is translucent when held up to light.

Kelvin Burton
08-14-2011, 4:13 PM
Dennis, I really like the bowl with the handles. I assume you turned it with that rolled rim then cut away everything that didn't look like a handle? :) Seems like that would require very careful cutting and sanding?

Steve Vaughan
08-14-2011, 4:16 PM
Those are really nice! I love pecan, and you've done a great job with these. I, too, love the one with the handles...that inspires me to look at that myself. Thanks!

charlie knighton
08-14-2011, 5:27 PM
Dennis, striking, i love the look, the handles are a nice touch

John Keeton
08-14-2011, 5:31 PM
Really some nice work, Dennis. I have a bowl blank from pecan - if I can do something this nice with it, I will be pleased!!

Paulo Marin
08-14-2011, 6:32 PM
Dennis,
How about a small tutorial on how to make bowls with handles?
Great look... I enjoyed the potential
Paulo Marin

Mark Hubl
08-14-2011, 6:37 PM
This batch of bowls is coming along quite nicely. I too am a fan of the one with the handles. They look great.

Dennis Ford
08-14-2011, 8:53 PM
I will try to do a set of progression pictures of one with handles. With a little planning, they are not difficult at all.

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2011, 9:40 PM
Really nice looking bowls. I would also like to see the progression on the handled bowl.