PDA

View Full Version : The Invader

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2011, 3:09 PM
Wanted to turn something different for a change …

Curly Maple hollow form with a White Pine twig and Walnut finial; 10” long x 7 ¾” wide x 2” high. Wings are 1/16” thick and the bottom of the form extends ¼” past the wings. The form is balanced with the bottom rounded over so that the piece can rotate, wobble or otherwise move in a breeze and then right itself. The stand, also out of Curly Maple, provides a small flat surface for the form to rest/spin on. The overall height of the piece when on the stand is 9 ½”.

205083 205084 205085 205086 205087
Sanded to 600 grit, the piece has many coats of gloss wipe-on poly, has been buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

charlie knighton
08-14-2011, 3:16 PM
cool, nice concept, looks like the invader has been hit

Nate Davey
08-14-2011, 3:17 PM
Very interesting Steve. Beautiful finish and very outside the box. Will you actually set this where wind can hit it????:D

Marty Eargle
08-14-2011, 3:20 PM
Very unique piece! That would have made for a great natural edge platter, but you only need so many things to sit fruit on...this is art! I think the way you put it together is very appropriate for the size and might not work as well with something larger. For some reason, this gives me a very cool little desk lamp feel. :P

Awesome job as usual!

Jim Burr
08-14-2011, 3:31 PM
Ha!!! This is so cool Steve! The wood all matches well and the wobble effect is great! Maybe a rounded base?...but that's only MHO. Bravo!!

Dennis Ford
08-14-2011, 3:33 PM
I like this piece a lot. It shows a high level of craftsmanship in something that is clearly art. The fact that you designed in some movement on the stand is great.

phil harold
08-14-2011, 3:35 PM
looks like a table lamp
how big is it?

nice work!

Roger Chandler
08-14-2011, 4:18 PM
The aliens have landed! Very unusual and unique form, Steve..........most likely a real challenge to hollow.

Bill Bolen
08-14-2011, 4:31 PM
Whoda thunk....a mobile hf. Gorgeous and very inventive piece Steve. Wish my old brain had a bit of your imagination.

Joe Meirhaeghe
08-14-2011, 4:38 PM
It's always fun to get out of our usual style of work & do something different every now & then. Looks like you had fun with this one. That's what it's all about having fun.
Great work Steve

John Keeton
08-14-2011, 5:29 PM
Steve, when you first told me this thing was balanced, I was in disbelief - and, still am!!! What are the odds?!?!?!? I know, you planned and calculated it to be perfectly balanced when sitting upright on the stand!!:cool::rolleyes::D And, the other thing that might escape notice is the hollowing of the form without having a good, clear view of the laser. Lot of stop and go, I suspect.

Very, very neat piece. I see lots of possibilities for various modes of display. Love the walnut with the color in the side of the curly maple, too.

Mark Hubl
08-14-2011, 6:46 PM
Interesting work Steve. I like the element of motion in the piece. The square HF is very nicely done.

philip labre
08-14-2011, 6:51 PM
I love this piece, Steve. great concept and execution. Balancing the natural edge is fantastic!

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2011, 9:46 PM
Interesting piece Steve. Beautiful and the finish is outstanding.

Scott Hackler
08-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Way to step outside your usual stuff! This is a very interesting piece. A lot of visual aspects that catch ones eye. It is different enough that a "critique" would be difficult. Something that would add to the piece, for me, would be a finial that matched the form of the base...instead of the pine twig.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff Nicol
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Steve, You have left the box by a long ways with this one! The wood is beautiful and the little bark left on it along with the
shape really does make it look from out of this world! Nice job on a very different form, it is always fun to do something completely out of the norm.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Scott - google 'War of the Worlds', the 1953 movie and you'll see where the inspiration came from. One of those movies I saw as a kid that left a memory!!

Harry Robinette
08-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Now thats thinking out of the BOX,BAG,WRAPPING and CART. Really nice piece you've really got that art stuff down to a T.

Rick Markham
08-15-2011, 5:05 AM
It's weird! I really really like it. I love the combination winged, natural edge, hollowform. The transition is so fluid the hollowform blends perfectly. Bravo on the execution of the hollowing, I'm sure that was an entirely new experiece with this one. The fact that it's balanced, makes it all that much cooler! It's definitely a gorgeous piece of curly maple!

Richard Kennedy UK
08-15-2011, 5:37 AM
OK I dropped my breakfast in my cup of tea...... Steve this is way cool reallllllly nice The inclusion of the natural edge is inspired. Your old pal in the UK would love to know more like how far out did you hollow? actually do you mind making another and taking the odd pic along the way so I can have a copy. Amazing! I still think its fab even as I rescue soggy toast make more......The stand maybe doesnt work for me as much but I see the need to raise the height up lovely wood too oh please make more! Take pity on us lesser mortals share the knowledge

pleeeeeeeeeeeeaase

Michelle Rich
08-15-2011, 7:00 AM
WOW ZOWIE ..now ain't that grand...Adore the HF..It's almost unbelievable that you hollowed that..just amazing..The wings must have made a lot of propeller noise as you did so...It's outside the box, alright! Good 'un

Tim Thiebaut
08-15-2011, 7:07 AM
Thats really going outside the box Steve, well done, you continue to impress and inspire with your work!

Jerry Marcantel
08-15-2011, 9:52 AM
Steve, outstanding job on this. The twig looks like a fuse...... If I had your imagination to make something this unique, I would make the top of the pedestal a little smaller and round, keeping the hour glass shape.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Tim Rinehart
08-15-2011, 9:59 AM
Steve, that's pretty cool and definitely one that will make folks stop and look hard at it. The figure in that wood is gorgeous too.
I assumed that 'balanced' implies you had to do something to physically balance it to allow it stay 'correct' in natural state since it has that natural edge which lessens the mass on that side. Did you 'add' a weight on that light side somewhere inside, or just remove material from opposite side? Just curious.
Really well executed piece, but we expect that from you!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Steve,
This piece makes me think of tropical trees and beaches. I think it may indicate you really want a vacation in Tahiti. In any event, neat turning. Did you have to hollow this one the "old fashion way", hand held tools and calipers.
faust

Baxter Smith
08-15-2011, 2:51 PM
Interesting to hear where you came up with the idea for this one! I had no clue to begin with. I have considered using twigs or the like for finials but never taken the leap! Glad you did!

Curt Fuller
08-15-2011, 2:59 PM
I'm waiting for it to take off.......on it's own power!

That 'balanced on the pedestal' idea is so cool. I love it!