PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft in Allentown PA. Positive news

Curt Harms
08-14-2011, 12:04 PM
I hadn't been in there for a while until yesterday. What was the classroom/demonstration area is now changing to retail space and they had a couple pieces of Laguna stuff there. A short cyclone D.C. which would fit in about the same space as a conventional D.C. and a Laguna band saw. I didn't take the time to looks them over closely but it's good to see a business seeming to expand rather than contract.

scott vroom
08-14-2011, 12:32 PM
My local Woodcraft had to move to a building with cheaper rent last year in order to stay in business. Frankly, I don't know how they are able to keep the doors open in this economy. Internet sales have got to be taking a big bite out of their market share. About the only time I go to Woodcraft is if I have to have something within 48 hours, otherwise I'm ordering ahead on-line (often with zero shipping charge and almost always with zero sales tax vs my local 9.25% tax), or through a local wholesaler.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
My nearest WoodCraft is 110 miles away. The owners are very personable and delivered my PM3520B to my shop. I puchased a GI mortiser and just recently 2 Jet Air Filtration systems for my shop. They have sent things to me by a local courier service when I requested, mailed stuff to me and give me a discount when I drive there. Their classroom and stocked inventory appears to be increasing in size.

Chris Barnett
08-14-2011, 1:57 PM
In previous years, spent quite a bit at WC, but not so much lately. Most recent purchases were for a few pieces of wood and instructional classes in turning. Owner is a really nice guy, hate to see business decline. I do not mind paying extra and keep the money here, if customers are truly appreciated.

Randy Dutkiewicz
08-14-2011, 7:38 PM
About twice a year I get to visit the WC in Roswell, GA (about 275 miles away from me). They used to be located in a really nice building, but have now moved about 5 miles east into a commercial space with many other types of stores. I have a feeling this is also due to the economy and would appear to save on rent costs. They guys there are always really nice, so as long as they remain that way, I'll keep going there. A few months ago, I went in there to purchase a Delta mortiser, but was told by the sales person they didn't have any in stock, and couldn't advise if/when they would since the buy-out of Delta from a Chinese manufacturer. I was like "HUH?" They said "Yep, ever since Delta sold out, there are truck full of Delta equipment that is just sitting as a result of the buy out." Interesting! So, they sold me the floor model Wood River, which turns out I actually like quite a bit as it has some really nice features and at a discounted "floor model" price! As a matter of fact, I just placed an order for the Jessem Rout R Lift II online yesterday from WC. Combined with a $20 coupon, I feel I got a good deal on it. It's scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and I can't wait to begin using it.

Gene Jordan
08-14-2011, 8:52 PM
My nearest Woodcraft (85 miles away in Evanville, Indiana) is closing it's doors at the end of August. This is very depressing because of the relationships that I have with the sales people. Any question that I have ever asked was answered on the spot or researched and answered, very curteously I might add. This was my go to place for all things related to woodworking and I've never had a bad experience there. This Woodcraft will be greatly missed.

Ron Griffiths
08-14-2011, 9:27 PM
The Woodcraft in my area (Santa Rosa, Calif) closed the beginning of the year and there is no close store to get the things I need. Only alternative is the internet. The big box stores only have the common items but not the ones I seem to always need. I do have to plan better to order on line. I really miss the store and the guys that worked there.

Matt Kestenbaum
08-14-2011, 10:20 PM
I try to stop by the Allentown store a few times year when I am in that neck of the woods visiting my in-laws...nice store and the staff seem like good folk. I am curious where they are going to put the classes? Do they still use the space on the side (down a few steps) for larger equipment too? I always wonder about the deal woodcraft franchisees get...seems like they compete with woodcraft corporate/web sales as much as anyone else!

Curt Harms
08-15-2011, 8:06 AM
I'm not sure where they're going to do their classes. They were doing a demo the day I was there and they set a bench up in the area you refer to.