PDA

View Full Version : A real gloat..

Rich Engelhardt
08-14-2011, 9:27 AM
Back this past May, my son was driving behind a car with a woman and her young child in it.
It was storming. A tree fall in front of and on top of the woman's car and took a power line down with it.
My son stopped and rushed over to the car, pulled the young chid out and carried her to safety, then wnet back and stayed with the driver until the fire department arrived.

Yesterday, we were at the National Guard picnic.

Staff Sgt. Burke Engelhardt was presented with the Ohio Distinguished Service Award for his actions that day.

The whole guard unit stood and came to attention as the award was being presented.
I couldn't help buyt notice one young man standing off to one side of me, laser straight back, head and eyes straight ahead, arms firmly at his side, shoulders back and chest forward - classic picture of full attention.
As my son gave a small acceptace speech, he mentioned that he was positive each and every one of his men would "do the same thing, in the same situation".
When he said that, I saw the young man standing at attention swell by two sizes with respect and admiration.

The medal and my son's actions, while worthy of a brag or two, pale in comparison to the respect and admiration I saw he instilled in one of his men.

I am one proud papa...

Paul McGaha
08-14-2011, 1:23 PM
Thanks for posting that Rich. Always ready to read something positive in the world.

I'm sure you're very proud of him as any Dad would be.

And you're right, that is a real gloat.

PHM

Jim Koepke
08-14-2011, 1:38 PM
There is nothing that can make us prouder than our children doing things to make us proud.

You must have raised him right.

jtk

Mike Cruz
08-15-2011, 7:41 AM
Now THAT has GOT to be the gloat of the year. Congrats to you, for having such a son. Honestly, though, I don't know that I would have actually touched the child...too many letigous people these days. But my hat is off to your son for doing it anyway...it was the right thing to do.

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2011, 7:45 AM
Rich - thanks for sharing your outstanding gloat! Sure started my day off right!!

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2011, 9:33 AM
This goes way beyond a gloat. Thanks for sharing!

dennis thompson
08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Great son, great story. You made my day.
Dennis

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Rich.....certainly something worth gloating over!

Congrats Dad!