PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a link to help set up new jointer fence....

Tim Morton
08-14-2011, 8:31 AM
I am trying to set up my Grizzly G0656p jointer fence today, and i don't see anything in the instruction manual that tells me the best way to go about it.

There are lots of adjustment points, but i am looking to do it right, and not guess. I have found a couple things online about adjustments, but nothing that shows an initial setup/installation.

Tim Morton
08-15-2011, 9:01 PM
The main thing i am struggling with is how to set the fence up so that it does not rest on the jointer bed. It would seem that it "should " sit above the bed so it does not scratch it when traveling across the bed. The "but" here is that it seems that the same knob that controls the height of the fence, also controls the angle of the fence. This can't be the case...so i am missing something i think.

glenn bradley
08-15-2011, 9:22 PM
Nope. That's how many work. If you want the fence to hover over the table and not scratch it you can lay a thin piece of laminate of whatever on the table while you lock the fence at the desired angle and then remove it. I stuck a strip of UHMW tape on my fence's "foot" so now it can drag without leaving a mark. I thought it was a temporary fix but, has been there since May of 2008 and I move the fence quite a bit.

Tim Morton
08-16-2011, 8:21 PM
The main thing i am struggling with is how to set the fence up so that it does not rest on the jointer bed. It would seem that it "should " sit above the bed so it does not scratch it when traveling across the bed. The "but" here is that it seems that the same knob that controls the height of the fence, also controls the angle of the fence. This can't be the case...so i am missing something i think.

sweet ..kind of like a biesimeyer fence...

i talked to grizzly today and they said the best i could do was raise the fence bracket that the fence sits on...but i like your idea better. Not that i imagine moving it much.

thanks.

Bob Wingard
08-16-2011, 8:47 PM
It looks like there's enough material there to drill & tap a couple of small holes & insert some countersunk brass or nylon screws.