PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on applying Ren wax

Eric Gourieux
08-14-2011, 1:00 AM
I have been applying Ren wax to my bowls and HF's and have found that the wax sometimes dries in clumps. Should I apply and smoothe it out more before I buff? How long should it dry before buffing? Any suggestions would help.

Scott Hackler
08-14-2011, 1:10 AM
Eric, if your seeing "clumps", you definitely putting on too much. I fold a paper towel into a 1 to 1 1/2 strip. Then in a swirling motion I coat the paper towel on the bottom of the end of the strip. Then I rub the wax into the wood like I am waxing a car, being careful to touch all surfaces. Depending on the vessel, I might add a little wax every so often to the paper towel. I sit the vessel on the counter for 5-10 minutes and use a dry and clean paper towel I vigorously hand buff. Works fantastic and no problems. The smell goes away in a few says.

Paul Singer
08-14-2011, 7:11 AM
I have been putting a thin coat on the item and buffing it dry with a soft wheel. Appears to be working well. When I let it dry I do not get as good a shine.

John Keeton
08-14-2011, 8:02 AM
I keep a small piece of paper shop towel in my Ren wax, and it is saturated as one would expect. I use it like Scott suggests - very, very sparingly, and buff almost immediately. When I say sparingly, I mean it. I can barely see the wax on the wood. My Beall wax buffing wheel provides the rest of the wax and effort!

Tony De Masi
08-14-2011, 8:07 AM
+1 on what JK said.

Terry Quiram
08-14-2011, 8:58 AM
++1 for John's advice.

Jim Burr
08-14-2011, 9:27 AM
Thin is best, but if you read the instructions...they say to wait about a minute for the coating to dry before buffing.

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2011, 10:15 AM
+1 for John's method. Less is more.

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Like the others, I apply a very thin coat and usually wipe it off within a minute. I have found that if I allow it to totally dry - then I have to rub it off or use the Beall wax buffing wheel at a slow speed.

David E Keller
08-14-2011, 1:18 PM
I guess I'm a total caveman... I put it on with my fingers in a very thin coat then buff with a paper towel.

Jim Burr
08-14-2011, 3:33 PM
I guess I'm a total caveman... I put it on with my fingers in a very thin coat then buff with a paper towel.

I knew I saw you in the Geico commericals!!!!

Ralph Lindberg
08-14-2011, 3:40 PM
While I put RenWax on sparingly, I do it after the Beal-Buff Wax.
My theory is that the Carnauba Wax is harder then the Micro-crystal wax. So I put down the hard wax, then the soft wax. Yes, when hard, both are quite hard. But I strongly suspect that the Beal system would remove the Micro-crystal wax

Jeff Nicol
08-14-2011, 10:41 PM
I guess I will have to get some and try it out, hardly ever use much wax unless that is the finish, or if I want a little bit more shine on an already glossy piece I use pure carnuba put on with the buffing wheel and buffed until the shine is complete.

I have used the Bri-wax and it has a pretty strong smell and it is the same way a little bit goes a long way. If it is put on to thick and it drys, the wax gets very hard and takes a pretty good amount of pressure with the buffing wheel to get it off.

It is always something,

Jeff