PDA

View Full Version : Shark Guard for Grizzly G0623X

ed vitanovec
08-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I've had my Grizzly Sliding Table for over 2 years now and the one thing I did not like about it was the Blade Guard. I have been working with Shark Guard to create a new Blade Guard for me, this involved sending drawings of the stock Guard and Riving Knife. I finally approved the Riving Knife and Blade Guard for my saw, it arrived today in a well packaged box. The Guard and Riving Knife are excellant quality and fit perfectly on my Grizzly Sliding Table saw G0623X. I know there are a few owners out there that probably want to replace their stock guard, contact Lee at Shark Guard for pricing and to order one. Regards! Ed

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/fasteddie58/P10107711.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/fasteddie58/P10107691.jpg

Matt Meiser
08-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm betting you will love it. I know I'm very happy with my Shark Guard.

Jerome Hanby
08-14-2011, 7:45 AM
Mine is on order for my old craftsman contractor saw. I ordered it with the 4" dust port. I can't wait. Lee say I'm about 10 days out!

scott vroom
08-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Other than the riving knife, what other safety features does the shark guard offer?

ed vitanovec
08-14-2011, 6:29 PM
The guard will keep my hands away from the blade, plus the dust collection. It's an all around better guard than the stock one, not flimsy and I can see through it.

scott vroom
08-15-2011, 11:31 AM
For me, the biggest benefit would be the dust collection. I cut a lot of MDF for cabinet raised panels and the dust is horrific. About what percentage of dust would you say these things collect?

Mark Engel
08-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the update, Ed.

I have been emailing back and forth with Lee for a while now, since your post in my old thread about the G0623X.

I will be getting in touch with Lee this afternoon!

Matt Meiser
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
For me, the biggest benefit would be the dust collection. I cut a lot of MDF for cabinet raised panels and the dust is horrific. About what percentage of dust would you say these things collect?

It depends (of course!) on the cut I am making but with the 4" port on mine I can expect to get anywhere from a little to almost all. Trimming 1/16" off an edge will result in poor collection since it gets shot out the front and side too quick. But a normal cut with the blade all the way in the wood I get virtually everything.

Rod Sheridan
08-15-2011, 6:58 PM
It depends (of course!) on the cut I am making but with the 4" port on mine I can expect to get anywhere from a little to almost all. Trimming 1/16" off an edge will result in poor collection since it gets shot out the front and side too quick. But a normal cut with the blade all the way in the wood I get virtually everything.

That's also my experience with both an Excalibur overarm guard and the Felder/Hammer Euro guard...........Regards, Rod.

Mark Engel
08-17-2011, 7:22 PM
Lee is currently working on a Shark Guard for my G0623X.

Can't wait to replace the OEM "can't see nothin'" blade guard.

The plan is to use it with the riving knife mount for now. A ceiling mount system will be built in the not to distant future.

Thanks, Ed, for all of your work on getting this project moving along.

ed vitanovec
08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Mark,

Your welcome! The guard is very nice and yes you will see the wood and blade as you are cutting.

Regards!
Ed

Mark Engel
08-25-2011, 8:10 PM
Got and installed the Shark Guard today. Fits like a glove. Major improvement over the OEM guard.

Got mine with a 4" dust port and it really sucks. The old flex pipe I had is too stiff so I ordered some new, more flexible 4".

Matt Meiser
08-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, watch any small offcuts--especially those you wish to keep!

Jerome Hanby
08-26-2011, 8:38 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I ordered the 4" port model for my saw and the three weeks Lee quoted me is getting close and I can't wait!

Got and installed the Shark Guard today. Fits like a glove. Major improvement over the OEM guard.

Got mine with a 4" dust port and it really sucks. The old flex pipe I had is too stiff so I ordered some new, more flexible 4".

Mark Engel
08-26-2011, 9:13 AM
I'm hoping to get out to the shop this weekend and give it a good workout.

Hopefully Irene won't change my plans too much.

Rod Sheridan
08-26-2011, 9:25 AM
The guard looks nice, does anyone know if there's an overarm version available?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Checked the site, the overarm guards are discontinued.............Too bad...........Rod.

Mark Engel
08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I think an overarm mount would have to be a DIY. Lee has some information about this here. (http://www.leestyron.com/SGK1.php)

I also found this (http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/blade_guard.pdf)free, downloadable plan for a nice overhead mount put together by Gordon Sampson. This is the one that I am probably going to build.