PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 27 shaper spindle bushings ?'s

thomas prusak
08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Please help. I have some 1 1/4" spindle insert cutters but only have a 3/4" spindle. I do have the bushings to reduce size but can't figure out what nut and or washer set up I need. Once I slide the bushings and cutter on what holds them down? I can't find a parts dwg or really any info online.

J.R. Rutter
08-14-2011, 6:46 PM
Stack 1-1/4" spacers above and below your cutter and use a bushing only inside the cutter bore. The bushing only centers the cutter, the spacers hold it in place.

Peter Quinn
08-14-2011, 9:34 PM
Three things need to happen to bush a cutter down to a smaller spindle. You need to keep the cutter centered on the spindle, you need to be able to tighten the cutter (or cutter stack), an you need to make sure NOTHING is free spinning. You don't want a sleeve bushing in the middle of a cutter or stack spinning, that will do bad things to your spindle. I like t-bushings with a flange for bushing down a cutter. You can get either short or long sleeves depending on the height of your stack or cutter, and you can get doubles for use with a bearing or spacers. Something like these work well. You should be using your regular nut and locking washer to tighten the whole thing down.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5526-shaper-cutter-t-bushings-with-flange.aspx

thomas prusak
08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Thank you JR and thank you Peter. I really appreciate you guys taking time to help me.

J.R. Rutter
08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
you need to make sure NOTHING is free spinning. You don't want a sleeve bushing in the middle of a cutter or stack spinning, that will do bad things to your spindle.

Definitely! I would just add that if your bushing is loose enough to spin inside the cutter bore, take it off, throw it away, and get a proper bushing. The best bushings that I have came from Leitz. They will make them to your specs. I have to put them in the freezer to slip fit inside the cutterhead bore.

Jeff Duncan
08-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm going to add one more thing to be aware of. Not sure how much shaper experience you have, but you want to be very cautious when running a larger head on a smaller spindle. A 3/4" spindle is somewhat small, (though the 27 will handle a 1-1/4" spindle adequately), and it's not a good idea to push it too hard. Running some small profiles with light cuts should be OK, but don't get too ambitious if your new to shapers.

FWIW I used to make interior doors on a Powermatic 27 w/ 1-1/4" spindle and I've run up to 4" tall corrugated heads on it, they're good machines. However it also killed the bearings in less than 2 years of use.....I've since upgraded;)

good luck,
JeffD