PDA

View Full Version : Latest Craigslist Gloat!!!

Adam Gerlach
08-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Last night I picked up a Dewalt DW735 planer with a spare set of blades, Dewalt mobile stand and infeed/outfeed tables for a whopping $150! The thing is in like new condition (see pic below). The previous owner said it was only used to redo his kitchen cabinets less then a year ago.

I almost missed out on it though. I was home from work with my 1 year old son when I saw the CL post, but then I realized that my wife took the car with the baby seat to work and that she wouldn't be home for 5 more hours :eek:. I called the guy and told him that I was extremely interested and explained my predicament. He promised he would hold it for me for one day as long as I promised not to haggle over the price. I gladly agreed to those terms!!!

The sad thing is that since I started woodworking (~ 9 months ago), I have probably spent more time driving to buy tools on CL then I have actually spent doing any woodworking! I think I have a CL addiction.

John TenEyck
08-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Sweet ! Good on you.

Keith Westfall
08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
That's an addiction that's OK...

Thomas Hotchkin
08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
"I think I have a CL addiction."
Adam,
You and me both. Tom

205034[/QUOTE]

Joe Adams
08-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Congratulations on scoring a great deal!

Bobby O'Neal
08-14-2011, 7:57 AM
What a deal. You know what this means, don't you?

YOU SUCK!!!

Jim Matthews
08-14-2011, 7:57 AM
This points to an important stumbling block for us; it is much easier to go out and buy materials than to put in time at the shop.

I have a policy of stacking no more than three items for installation at a given time. I need to finish a project that the first item was intended to serve - you know - first.

FYI - If your shop has an alley down the middle, it's time to stop shopping.

David Nelson1
08-14-2011, 9:08 AM
This points to an important stumbling block for us; it is much easier to go out and buy materials than to put in time at the shop.

I have a policy of stacking no more than three items for installation at a given time. I need to finish a project that the first item was intended to serve - you know - first.

FYI - If your shop has an alley down the middle, it's time to stop shopping.

OK I get the message LOL

Aaron Berk
08-14-2011, 10:55 AM
$150 and u got the stand and extra blades?

That's SWEET!

U truly suck.

PS: I'm a CL addict myself :o

Jim Matthews
08-14-2011, 3:41 PM
I didn't mean you, Dave.

You can buy more stuff. Just wear the avalanche transponder when you go in, so The Boss can find you.

PS - If A&E calls to schedule an interview for "Hoarders"...

Kent E. Matthew
08-14-2011, 7:23 PM
The first part of this year I spent saving for a major purchase. My area CL is a target rich environment for planers. Since making that major purchase I been monitoring CL since May. One planer of interest came up but sold before I could have time to get it. It was an RC 33 Delta. I am about ready to march into Home Depot and just buy a DW734. I'm getting sick of waiting.

Bill Trouard
08-14-2011, 7:56 PM
Very good score.. Most of the stuff I see on CL around here always seems to be priced close to retail and wore out. I'm still holding out for the day I can claim a CL score

Todd Hyman
08-15-2011, 1:33 PM
Congrats on the score! Very nice planer.

Adam Gerlach
08-15-2011, 11:05 PM
The first part of this year I spent saving for a major purchase. My area CL is a target rich environment for planers. Since making that major purchase I been monitoring CL since May. One planer of interest came up but sold before I could have time to get it. It was an RC 33 Delta. I am about ready to march into Home Depot and just buy a DW734. I'm getting sick of waiting.

If you have a smart phone check out the free app called Craigslist Notification. I have a Droid so I don't know if it is on iphone or not. I would assume it is. All you do is give it a search term, your zip, and a mile radius and it will alert you anytime your search term is posted. I have found that for killer deals like this you need to contact the seller within 15 mins of them posting for you to even have a chance at it.

The funny thing is I wasn't even looking for a planer because I picked up a INCA 570 10" J/P on CL a few months ago, but I am looking for a dust collector. For some reason the seller mentioned that it had a dust collector port and the app notified me. The rest is history!

David Hostetler
08-16-2011, 11:51 AM
That is a great planer for an even better price. Great score!

Matt Jutte
08-16-2011, 1:12 PM
I would have loved that planer, If this is the one that was in Columbus the other day! I called the guy and left a message, never heard anything and then i called him back an hour or so and he "just sold" it! That was my fault! oh well

But that deserves a YOU Suck any how! your gain my loss.

Kelly Colin Mark
08-16-2011, 3:24 PM
The funny thing is I wasn't even looking for a planer because I picked up a INCA 570 10" J/P on CL a few months ago, but I am looking for a dust collector. For some reason the seller mentioned that it had a dust collector port and the app notified me. The rest is history!
Why would you buy the DW735 if you already had the 570 ? Are you like me, and unable to resist a good deal ?

And - out of curiosity - how much did you pay for the 570 ?

EDIT: Never mind... while looking for 570s I found your thread. $400 for the 570 with a bunch of extra parts... I do not want to know where you put all your horseshoes.

Joseph Tarantino
08-16-2011, 5:57 PM
really great deal. i sold a few of those when HD clearanced them for $375 to $425, without extra blades, the stand and the in/out feed tables. definately suck worthy.

Adam Gerlach
08-16-2011, 9:06 PM
I would have loved that planer, If this is the one that was in Columbus the other day! I called the guy and left a message, never heard anything and then i called him back an hour or so and he "just sold" it! That was my fault! oh well

But that deserves a YOU Suck any how! your gain my loss.

Yeah that was the one. Sorry. I'll let you get the next one!

Adam Gerlach
08-16-2011, 9:11 PM
Why would you buy the DW735 if you already had the 570 ? Are you like me, and unable to resist a good deal ?

And - out of curiosity - how much did you pay for the 570 ?

EDIT: Never mind... while looking for 570s I found your thread. $400 for the 570 with a bunch of extra parts... I do not want to know where you put all your horseshoes.

Although the INCA 570 is a very nice machine I have found that having a combination machine does cause some headaches. Mainly you have to do more planning ahead when you need to joint and plane several boards to the same thickness. You have to join them all first and then plain them all because you have to adjust the planner height enable for the chip to extract when joining. Plus the extra 3" will be nice. And at this price, if I don't find a need for it I will sell it and most certainly make a profit!

Kevin Gregoire
08-17-2011, 1:40 PM
didnt this guy know what it was worth?
good job on stealing the planer but you still deserve a......

http://i54.tinypic.com/fac6k0.jpg