PDA

View Full Version : How should I finish this project? (Very large pic alert!)

Dan Mages
02-20-2005, 4:40 PM
Here is my latest PT Shelf in progress. It is black walnut with figured cherry herringbone inlay. It still needs a little sanding and a little additional shaping. I wiped some mineral spirits on it to see how it will look finished, and I think it looks awesome! How would you finish it? I was thinking of using the General Finish Oil & Varnish I have sitting around. Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/P1010120.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
02-20-2005, 4:53 PM
I can't help on the finish, as that is not my speciality, but WOW that is one nice looking shelf. However you finish it, it will look great!

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 6:01 PM
Definitely needs some oil and then a finish that provides UV protection given it's use. The oil will really make that walnut and cherry look wonderful!

Roger Barga
02-20-2005, 6:17 PM
That's a very nice work - look forward to seeing the completed project.

My experience with cherry is that linseed oil will improve the warm red color of cherry. I'm not familiar with General Finishes products, but typically I will wipe on one or two thin coats of Tried and True Varnish Oil.

roger

David Fried
02-20-2005, 6:28 PM
Now can we talk you into doing matching wood paneling on the sides of the PT? Maybe a surf board on top, too. :D

Dan Mages
02-20-2005, 7:17 PM
Jim. Good point on the UV protection, especially since this will be given to a guy who lives in Arizona. I do have a can of GF's Outdoor Oil, which does have UV stabilizers. Maybe use that and a few coats of wipe on poly?

David. I don't know about the surfboard. Besides, there arent very many surfable waves on Lake Michican. ;) Now, a shelf in the shape of a surfboard would be pretty cool. I wonder who would buy one....

Dan

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 7:21 PM
Polyurethane varnish is the worst finish to use when there is a UV situation...UV breaks it down big time. There is actually little to recommend poly for any use other than those occasional things that can benefit from its slightly better abrasion resistance--like a kitchen eating table with kids in the house. But otherwise, it even hates to stick to itself (the reason sanding between coats is required) and is overhyped major-league by the big-box retail trade. If you want to use varnish, use an alkyd- or phenolic-based oil varnish that is made for outdoor applications so it has the required UV protectant. These varnishes will also generally have a warmer, less plastic look than poly varnish.

Dan Mages
02-20-2005, 7:26 PM
Jim, Thanks for the info. Are there any brands of varnish that you reccomend?

I just checked the MSDS for the Outdoor Oil. It contains about 50% double boiled linseed oil and around 40% Mineral spirits and the rest are other unknown chemicals. This should work well. As roger said, linseed oil really brings out the finish beauty of the cherry.

Dan Gill
02-21-2005, 9:30 AM
Here is my latest PT Shelf in progress.

Dan, does that stand for Patrol Torpedo Shelf?

Lars Thomas
02-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Great looking PT Shelf. Geez, I wish my lease wasn't up soon, else I'd make one for myself. Lars

Dan Mages
02-21-2005, 6:33 PM
Great looking PT Shelf. Geez, I wish my lease wasn't up soon, else I'd make one for myself. Lars
Lars, you can always trade it in for another. ;)

Dan

Lars Thomas
02-21-2005, 8:04 PM
That is certainly a possibility, but leaning toward the 300c.

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 9:04 PM
Excellent choice. I miss the 300M I drove before the truck...it was a great car and a wonderful performer. The 300C ratchets up the "kewel factor" even over the Cruiser.

Dan Mages
02-21-2005, 10:44 PM
The 300C is an awesome ride. The dealer I go to gave me the keys to one and told me to have fun. It is so easy to smoke the tires on it! Now if I had the money for the SRT-8 version.

Dan