PDA

View Full Version : blasphemous bowl

Sean Hughto
08-13-2011, 6:07 PM
Paint on cherry - that's gotta be woodworker's blasphemy right?

About 12" x 6"
milk paint (federal blue and salem red) with blo

My family thought it was cool. I just wanted to try something different and had the open bags of paint getting stale. I've seem many antique bowls that were painted, so I thought I'd try it out. I think I'm gonna do some more. Might be a reason not to turn my nose up at poplar and such any more. ;-)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6188/6039006153_62de658d32_b.jpg

Steve Vaughan
08-13-2011, 6:09 PM
Ain't nuttin' wrong with that! Really nice looking and the more it's used, the better!

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2011, 7:04 PM
I like it Sean and don't see a thing wrong. Well done.

Roger Chandler
08-13-2011, 7:08 PM
[QUOTE=Sean Hughto;1758545]Paint on cherry - that's gotta be woodworker's blasphemy right?

Pure sacrilege for sure! But kinda neat anyway ..................what do you think of putting on a darker stain on the painted areas and let the natural wood show through as light and dark? Very nice turning Sean.

James Combs
08-13-2011, 8:01 PM
Looks great to me and I normally prefer ala natural.

Mark Hubl
08-13-2011, 8:22 PM
Looks good to me. One of the fellows in our club milk paints some of his. They are good sellers for him.

George Morris
08-13-2011, 8:55 PM
I like it! Great work!

John Keeton
08-13-2011, 8:56 PM
When I first saw the opening lines, I hoped you had not painted the whole thing!!! Sean, I like what you have done here. The painted areas, combined with the great form and hefty walls of this piece make for a really nice work!

Sean Hughto
08-13-2011, 9:42 PM
Wow, thanks, everyone. The folks here at SMC are always supportive!

I'm definitely intrigued by the possibilities with milk paint for me. I like the stuff.

Baxter Smith
08-13-2011, 9:53 PM
Nice effect Sean. I wonder if you could burn a line with a wire to delineate/separate the colors a little more cleanly. Perhaps that would take away from the look you were trying for though.

Sean Hughto
08-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I could have achieved a neater line in a variety of ways - masking, burning, etc. Believe it or not, I choose to brush things on loosely because I wanted a hanpainted look. I thought too tight a line would not fit with the roughness of other aspects of the bowl including the burnishing through of the paint and such. In short, I dunno if works, but the lack of "cleanliness" was intended.

Jim Burr
08-13-2011, 10:27 PM
All of this works Sean! I really lke the heft of the bowl. The colors below the burn line are a little muddled, but it has an antique effect...old farm house feel to it. Since I have no idea what any of that means and I couldn't do it...it's really sweet!

Bob Bergstrom
08-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Might take a chain and put some dents and use marks into the milk paint. Then wire brush some of the paint off to give it that old and used look. Just an option and thought.

Michelle Rich
08-14-2011, 8:11 AM
Bowls were painted yrs ago..it's a different look ..I agree with Bob, getting wear & tear on it will give it a more antique look.

Josh Bowman
08-14-2011, 8:26 AM
I was kind of the same way about wood and paint, but recently my wife wanted a small tall table. So I went at it with some poplar and found the black paint actually made the grain pop out. So I like the contrasts of your bowl very much.

Prashun Patel
08-14-2011, 2:05 PM
It's perfect, Sean. Those colors work well, especially when antiqued and burnished thru. What is the inside finished with?

Jeff Nicol
08-14-2011, 10:45 PM
It is a good way to hide some imperfections or "BOO BOO'S" if one has any of those happen to them.......never to me of course......O.K. I told a little white lie, but do I still get ice cream for a treat? I love Ice cream and that bowl would hold a very large helping of it!

Nice job, and you are correct it was a mainstay of many old bowls,

Jeff