PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning In Whoville - Beast

John Hart
08-13-2011, 5:54 PM
Dr Seuss is my favorite writer, and Horton the Elephant is my favorite character. So I've decided that a dedication to Horton would be acceptable as my Beast for the contest I can't enter.:D
The reason I like Horton so much is that he is the personification of a true heart. He's not very bright, but he makes a promise, out the the goodness in his soul, and keeps his promise against all adversity.

So this is Hortons Egg on a pedestal. I wanted to keep with the Seuss-style characteristics (tiny ankles, floppy shoes, big thighs, goofy curves)
The Egg is fully hollowed from the bottom, and the collar is nested super-thin platters.

The wood (except for the elm) was a gift from my neighbor who stops by once or twice a week with a buggy full of exotic cutoffs from his work. The pile is getting tremendous.

Wood:
Pedestal - Makore
Egg - Bog Cypress
Funial - Spalted Elm (a gift from David Keller)

Dimensions: 21" High X 5.5" Wide

Finish: Lacquer...It's what's for dinner :)

Your comments and scathing critiques are most welcome!!!

Sean Hughto
08-13-2011, 6:00 PM
I don't care what it is (as far as utility or the like). I really like it. Very original and fun.

Tim Thiebaut
08-13-2011, 6:11 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the creativity that people here can come up with...I like it, its unique, its cool...its horton, what more could you want.

Steve Vaughan
08-13-2011, 6:11 PM
Great idea and a wonderfully done project. Love the details!

Bill Bolen
08-13-2011, 6:20 PM
Complicated piece John. I don't think I could have kept all the pieces in the right order in my cluttered mind! Mighty pretty piece.

Roger Chandler
08-13-2011, 7:03 PM
Whimsical for sure..........the big form on the small pedestal is like Horton on the nest.........and he was faithful 100%! :D:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2011, 7:05 PM
Interesting piece John. Really well done.

Kathy Marshall
08-13-2011, 7:11 PM
Just looking at it on my phone screen and from what I can see, its beautiful! The detail looks very crisp, don't know how you got the pedestal so thin near the base without it coming apart, the finish looks excellent, all in all just a beauty. Can't wait to see it on my pc screen.

Pete Jordan
08-13-2011, 7:52 PM
He is my favorite character too!

Nice job!

James Combs
08-13-2011, 8:06 PM
Definitely a family resemblance to Horton and nice plus interesting to look at to boot.

David DeCristoforo
08-13-2011, 8:09 PM
If you say Horton, then Horton it is. But whatever you call it, it's waaaaaay too cute to be a beast! The whimsey in this piece is delightful. And it's pure Hart right down to the high gloss lacquer finish.

Sid Matheny
08-13-2011, 8:14 PM
I like it, very appropriate. :cool:

Sid

John Keeton
08-13-2011, 8:53 PM
Hart, this piece is technically very well done! Not being a Dr. Seuss fan (it isn't that I don't care for it - just never read any of it!), I can't relate to the
obviously successful attempt to capture the theme. But, I can appreciate the wonderfully done forms, and the superb art here! Great piece!

John Hart
08-13-2011, 9:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the more than generous comments. This was one of those pieces that I really enjoyed. And when I got weary....I quit for the day.
John...if you ever want to put a grandchild on your knee and have their undivided attention...Read "Horton Hatches The Egg". You'll even get tears of joy at the end. :)

Baxter Smith
08-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Far out! I probably can't truly appreciate this since I haven't read much about Horton. Guess I got stuck on One Fish Two Fish........

Harry Robinette
08-13-2011, 10:07 PM
John
Horton was a favorite for Grampy and my twin granddaughters.

Curt Fuller
08-13-2011, 10:21 PM
This was one of those pieces that I really enjoyed.

John...if you ever want to put a grandchild on your knee and have their undivided attention...Read "Horton Hatches The Egg". You'll even get tears of joy at the end. :)

John, Hart that is, I think you line is what woodturning and this contest you've concocted is all about. Beautiful work!

John, Keeton this time, I agree with what Mr Hart says about reading Dr Seuss. I didn't read it as a kid, but fell in love with it as a father and grandfather. My favorite is "What was I afraid of".

Jim Burr
08-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Pity the few who have no knowledge of Cindy Loo Who! Looks cool Hart! Finishing touches are so subtle...really blends well over all. Luck!

John Hart
08-14-2011, 6:20 AM
Thanks again everyone for the kind words!
Yup...the Whos are definitely a delight. Horton, of course, doesn't live in the Who world...But he can hear them! :)

Michelle Rich
08-14-2011, 7:47 AM
How the heck did Mr. keeton miss Horton? with all his kids & grandkids??? A wonder! I think Horton is smiling!

Harvey Ghesser
08-14-2011, 7:56 AM
You nailed this one, John! Horton would be proud!

Beautiful work!:D

Josh Bowman
08-14-2011, 8:22 AM
Yep....that's Horton's egg. Great job.

http://images.bookbyte.com/isbn.aspx?isbn=9780394800776