PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of gel filled wire connectors?

Stephen Tashiro
08-13-2011, 5:31 PM
I notice that there are connectors (apparently for splicing wires together) that are advertised as "gel filled". What's the purpose of that type of connection?

Mike Henderson
08-13-2011, 5:33 PM
I've seen them mostly used in places where the joint would get wet, such as for landscaping wire (low voltage). It helps (but does not cure) the problem of corrosion where you'd get a high resistance connection. But if you really want to avoid corrosion in a wire joint, the best thing to do is solder it.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2011, 5:54 PM
I used them when I installed and or modified my lawn sprinkler system.

John Fabre
08-13-2011, 6:14 PM
I used them when I installed and or modified my lawn sprinkler system.
I did the same with silicone filled connectors.

Scott T Smith
08-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I've used them for underground repair, on wires ranging from Cat 5E to 2/0. They work well, especially when combined with heat shrink tubing.

Dan Friedrichs
08-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Also used for telephone wiring (underground)

Matt Meiser
08-14-2011, 2:43 PM
I've used them to repair cuts in our invisible fence more times than I care to admit. Keep forgetting about the darn thing. One repair is 6 years old and still works so they must do the job.

David G Baker
08-14-2011, 6:55 PM
I used connectors designed for #2 underground wire that I cut with my front end loader. My 220 volt lines that power my out buildings were cut and needed repaired. I used the heat shrink tubing over a brass fitting that was filled with gel. Worked great.