PDA

View Full Version : Second Multi-Axis Project

Paulo Marin
08-13-2011, 2:15 PM
Last time I turned some female forms I had learned from Chris Stott inspired by an article I read about Barbara Dill. I used a few walnut pieces given to me as a gift collected from a barn which was allegedly over 100 years old. These pieces were very dry. Multi-Axis turning is exciting because they inherently have some danger. On the female forms, since they are long, you don't feel it as much, but when you tackle a Soren Berger's ladle (or scoop as he calls it), things change quite a bit.

I have turned several of these "scoops" in the past, but it has been a long time ago.. Since I had left over walnut, I decided to revisit my notes given to me by Soren on the way to the airport.

Soren Berger, is a phenomenal artist, toolmaker and woodturner from New Zealand. I know him very well and spent a considerable time with him learning some "pretty cool" stuff. I was immediately attracted to these scoops, because of the large amount of variations you can obtain. I recently found out he lost his wife. It saddened me because I know she was a tremendous supporter of his work, a great wife and mother. So, my heart goes to you Soren

The first one I turned with Soren I used Osage Orange. I won a first prize at the Ventura County Fair. It brought in a whopping $5. It no longer has that "yellow color"... it looks a lot like walnut.

On this specific piece, I went for a more "robust" look. It took about 2.5 hours to turn it.

As I mentioned before, I encourage all of you to experiment with "off-center" work. You don't need any special tools or accessories... if you would like to see Soren turning one of these, I accidentally found a video on the internet. If you will go to the woodworkingchannel.com under the Members tab click Soren Berger, and you will find the video.

You will be able to see Soren demonstrating with it.. I think it is a very cool project.

Critiques are welcome... Once again, apologies for any defects you might notice... just trying to squeeze in some turning before I forget what I have learned... My mind has been very occupied lately with beer brewing. God I love that stuff..

Honey..... look what I turned specially for you... a beautiful scoop.... Can I buy a Blichmann Fermenter... it's only $1000? ;)

Norm Zax
08-13-2011, 2:34 PM
Nice scoop indeed! Multi-axis is definitely on my short list of techniques to test.

Michael Ginsberg
08-13-2011, 2:44 PM
Paulo,
Very nice scoop indeed. What do you plan on scooping (hops and grain perhaps)?

Just wondering... What brand of gouge do you use?? :D

Michael

Marty Eargle
08-13-2011, 2:53 PM
Thats a very clean looking scoop!

I haven't done any multi-axis turning as of yet, but after watching that video, I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for the link!

Paulo Marin
08-13-2011, 2:56 PM
Michael,
At the rate I have been brewing, I won't need a scoop... I might need a skip loader :cool:

David DeCristoforo
08-13-2011, 3:28 PM
"I might need a skip loader..."

Can you turn one of those? I'd like to be there to see that...

Paulo Marin
08-13-2011, 3:32 PM
I should get you started in brewing.. You might just give up woodturning.. especially in a hot day:)

Jerry Wright
08-13-2011, 4:32 PM
Very nice, Paulo. I especially like the handle with the little "step" onto the bowl. In the finished piece it is hard for me to visualize each turning step! As a result I think that the piece has a little mystery. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Hubl
08-13-2011, 4:34 PM
Nice work Paulo. The multi axis is really a nice touch on those. I was at one of my favorite wineries yesterday. I think you might like it, they now also make craft beer! I think that brewing would be a very slippery slope!

Jim Burr
08-13-2011, 4:59 PM
Who cares about the flaws!!! That's great work!! Remind me to send you my reciepe for honey wheat ale with actual honey flavor! It's stupid easy!!...'cause I'm stupid and it was easy to figure out!

Harvey Ghesser
08-13-2011, 9:51 PM
Paulo, I applaud your skills and willingness to try other forms. Your scoop is beautiful and I'm jealous of your skills. I'm stuck on bowl making. The fact that scoops are multi-axis and a bit on the "fringe" side of turning makes me want to proceed with caution (or not proceed at all!). You guys out there that turn this stuff....I salute y'all!

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Really nicely done Paulo. Nice form and finish.

Kathy Marshall
08-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Very nice scoop Paulo!

Michelle Rich
08-14-2011, 8:04 AM
Great scoops..i've seen how he does these & his little metal ring that holds the cup...very very nice

Josh Bowman
08-14-2011, 8:16 AM
Very nice! I bet when you flipped it to turn the scoop, you really had to keep an eye on where your hands were at all times to avoid that handle.

John Keeton
08-14-2011, 8:23 AM
Well done, Paulo, and well received!! Great video, too - thanks for posting the info.

Paulo Marin
08-14-2011, 1:40 PM
Well done, Paulo, and well received!! Great video, too - thanks for posting the info.

Thank you John for pointing people to the right video link... I could not unlink the address. Appreciate your comment.
Soren Berger deserves all the credit for thinking outside the box. If you turn one scoop, you will be hooked and when you least expect, your house will have a scoop in every cupboard you open :)

My next project will be to turn something I learned from Alan Batty, who thought me to make an incredible secret box. I am sure people will enjoy it.

Have a good sunday everyone! :cool:

Tim Thiebaut
08-14-2011, 2:15 PM
Those are great looking scoops Paulo, well done on them.

Russell Eaton
08-14-2011, 2:56 PM
Very nice Paulo. Just don't drink the brew and turn, I still need some of your tools. :)

Dennis Simmons
08-14-2011, 5:58 PM
My mind has been very occupied lately with beer brewing. God I love that stuff..

I can handle the scoop, very good job, but I would love to learn, how to brew Beer, God knows I love that stuff.

Paulo Marin
08-14-2011, 6:14 PM
My mind has been very occupied lately with beer brewing. God I love that stuff..

I can handle the scoop, very good job, but I would love to learn, how to brew Beer, God knows I love that stuff.

Dennis my friend... I assure you that you will fall into a "vortex" deeper that anything you have experienced in the past.. I never imagined that beer brewing could be so rewarding.. There were times I would only drink a Corona, until the day I joined my beer club (www-maltosefalcons-com). EVERYTHING CHANGED AFTER THAT.

Let me know if you wish to get started and I will be very happy to point you in the right direction (well.. providing you share the brew with us:cool: )

ps: DON'T DRINK AND TURN :p