PDA

View Full Version : Some wood aquired...

Keith Westfall
08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
While on the job in Ontario, I landed at a site (to drop off some firefighters) that had some small oak trees, which had to be cut down to make a bit more room for us. I kept 3 small pieces (just because!) to see what I would/could get out of them.

I have painted the ends, (only thing I could get) and will be taking them home with me. My question is, how will they dry and what should I expect? They are about 4' in diameter. Will the oak split very badly? How long should they be left before use - and that will depend on when I get home I suppose - that may be a few days or a few weeks, depending on what the end of the season brings.

Appreciate any advice and or comments.

Keith

My ride to the wood lot that day! Transporting fire fighters - just another day in the life...

2 of the 3 pieces I ended up with.

John Keeton
08-13-2011, 10:28 AM
My limited experience with oak is that it will split quickly.

Just as an aside - scrounging for wood in that vehicle has to be loads more fun than my Dodge!!!:cool::D

James Combs
08-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I hope you meant to say 4' long versus 4' diameter or maybe it was 4" in diameter:confused:. If diameter is correct then that helo is a lot larger then it looks:eek:.

As to splitting/checking, they will definitely check, the best you can due is reduce the amount by sealing the ends as you have done. Sealing only slows down the checking even if you use the good stuff such as Anchor-Seal. The best thing to do is get them cut into bowl blanks asap being sure to get rid of the center pith area and then reseal the entire blank with Anchor-Seal. That should get you the a long shelf-life for the wood/blanks. Getting them turned into bowls wood actual be the longest.

Keith Westfall
08-13-2011, 10:45 AM
If only I could type! 4 inches in diameter!

Thanks for the comments/advice.

Jim Burr
08-13-2011, 11:39 AM
If I can't have a Hummer H1 to take to work everyday...your Huey would be my next choice!

Roger Chandler
08-13-2011, 1:11 PM
That looks like white oak from the leaves and the color of the wood..........yikes! That will split .........lickity split :eek: :rolleyes: so you should double or triple seal the ends........do the best you can until you get it home and then rough out and then do a DNA soak or a similar drying treatment to minimize the chance at it splitting on you..........it can be done, but oak, especially white oak is prone to cracking........DAMHIKT!

Mark Hubl
08-13-2011, 4:42 PM
Nice wood chopper!

Bob Bergstrom
08-13-2011, 5:36 PM
Bag it in plastic bags. It will keep it's moisture and be a lot less likely to split.

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2011, 7:08 PM
Congrats on the wood. If you are going to turn it as is I would turn it right away. If it is big enough to split I would get the pith out as soon as possible.