PDA

View Full Version : Banding on wood

Avraham Monina
08-12-2011, 8:47 PM
Hello,
My name is Avi, Im fairly new to laser engraving, I own a Epilog Mini 24, 35W (used), Ive learned alot here from you guys, this place is great for people like me.
I did search online and on this site and I found threads about banding but they are all on plastic and tile, nothing on wood, my issue is Im trying to engrave photo I took, it is originally 240DPI, I engraved at 200,300,600 DPI and 600 seems to have the deep black engraving Im looking for, but how do I get rid of this banding??
Now I read that you are suppose to engrave at the same DPI as your photo, so I also tried to raise the DPI to 600 in photoshop, no luck, still banding, I tried printing straight from photoshop, and I tried Corel Draw, both have banding.

Anyone has an idea?

Avi

Dee Gallo
08-12-2011, 9:56 PM
Hi Avi, welcome to the Creek! The first question that comes to mind is: did you resize the photo after you placed it in CorelDraw? Banding can occur if you do that.

I also like to use 600 dpi, it seems to do the best job in my laser which is also a used 35w Epilog for jobs like this.

cheers, dee

Avraham Monina
08-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks Dee,
I did try resizing and I also tried to print straight from photoshop with no resizing (which is the one i took the photo of)

Avi

Mike Null
08-13-2011, 6:32 AM
Avi

Welcome to SMC. There have been many threads on this topic so I suggest doing a search. I think you find a good bit of reading material.

Avraham Monina
08-13-2011, 9:17 AM
Mike
Thank you, this place is truly full of good info, I honestly did do a search before I posted this, and and everything I found was about tile or marble or issues with the machine skipping a line, nothing about resolution (if thats my issue) and surely nothing about wood, I always try to search before I post, I search on google too, and nothing that gives me a straight answer, I have tried different combinations of resolutions and resizing and I just cant seem to get rid of the banding.

Avi

Dee Gallo
08-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Avi, here is a short discussion about banding: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?140910-Banding&highlight=engraving+banding

A (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?140910-Banding&highlight=engraving+banding)lso this one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160739-banding-issue-again!&highlight=engraving+banding

Avraham Monina
08-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Dee,
thank you for those, I made some progress this morning, what seems to really help was I changed on the Epilog setting from Standard to Brighten, and I had to slow down the speed because of that to 20 (from 40) but it seems there is no(or almost non) banding, its still at 600DPI which I did not want to change that, and my photos are edited and inserted to Corel at 300DPI, it seems to do the trick, I guess the heavier dots in the "standard" setting is what causing this, I also tried the Floyd setting, and it has less banding but it was still there, I really appreciate all your help, I really do!

Thanks
Avi

Bill Cunningham
08-13-2011, 8:55 PM
What was probably causing your banding was trying to engrave a 240 dpi at the wrong multiple. Resample to 300, then engrave at 300 or 600

Avraham Monina
08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
But even though I tried at 300dpi and print at 300 or 600, banding was still there, only when I changed from "Standard" to " brighten" it went away, I attached the final product.205041