PDA

View Full Version : Keepin it Steady...

Rick Markham
08-12-2011, 5:06 PM
Some big 'ole round ring showed up today, with some nice chunks of turnin' wood... boxelder, spalted maple, and a couple other goodies.:eek::D:p Jeff Nicol, you are a great guy, the steady is beyond perfect, the wheels are so nice and soft, and it runs great! I had to put it on and take it for a test drive. I'm doing the finishing cuts, on what might be my "beauty" but time will tell :)

and of course... Without pics it didn't happen ;)

...and yes that is my "dust collection" under the lathe! LOL

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2011, 5:08 PM
Nice looking setup with that JN steady and the Kobra. Also, a very interesting looking piece on the lathe. Don't see any shavings tho...

John Keeton
08-12-2011, 5:11 PM
And, the color matches perfectly!! Congrats, Rick - I love my JN Steady! The "beauty" is looking good from what I can see.

Rick Markham
08-12-2011, 5:19 PM
They are all in my clever "dust collector" a.k.a. cheap metal trash can. (There's some on the banjo, maybe if it was painted red your eye would be drawn to them:p. We shall see how the piece turns out, I still have plenty of opportunities to screw it up :D

I had to take the picture standing in my carport, looking through my side door, holding the camera above my head (It's 2 steps up, and I am short, and clumbsy) but it's a pic... and it counts:rolleyes:

Rick Markham
08-12-2011, 5:30 PM
It even smells the same as the lathe did when it was new :D

Tony De Masi
08-12-2011, 6:17 PM
Looking good Rick. Please make sure to post "beauty" when finished. Pun intended.

Roger Chandler
08-12-2011, 7:14 PM
I'm liking that steady rest and the "beauty" you have chucked up on that lathe.........very nice form..........I see a little of DD's Amphora in that one.

Jon Nuckles
08-12-2011, 7:15 PM
Congrats, Rick. Both the steady rest and your beauty look very good. When I was ready to get a steady rest, word on the street was that Jeff was no longer making them. My homemade version works fine, but the baltic birch sure doesn't match my Powermatic like yours does!

Baxter Smith
08-12-2011, 8:07 PM
"Beautiful" steady and whats in it too!

Rick Markham
08-12-2011, 8:38 PM
I'm liking that steady rest and the "beauty" you have chucked up on that lathe.........very nice form..........I see a little of DD's Amphora in that one.

Double D's amphora's have definitely influenced this one. I haven't decided if I am going to enter it as my "beauty" for that very reason, it's distinctly mine in ways, but I freely admit that the Masters around here are my major influences in turning for me. I will say that this is my favorite piece I have turned so far, and execution wise (so far) my best piece to date. So I am torn a bit... but there is always time to turn another :) I don't hold much hope for the beauty award, but maybe I get an honorable mention in the "booby" category LOL :)

Rick Markham
08-12-2011, 9:01 PM
The trash can is really entirely my brilliant idea... I was sweeping up the curlies one day and dumping them into the trash can (as I have done many many many times at this point) when the thought went through my head: "put the trash can under the lathe stupid" (If only I could accurately portrait the sound of my "inner" voice... It's kind of mixture of Foghorn Leghorn and my grandfather mixed in) Of course, I ignored it several more times before testing out this theory. So far it has been less work... I will post my full results of this test at a later date. :D

David E Keller
08-12-2011, 9:32 PM
Congrats on the new toy, Rick... Jeff really makes a nice steady!

Harvey Ghesser
08-12-2011, 9:33 PM
Rick, that is indeed a beautiful setup!

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Congrats Rick. Love my Nicol steady.

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2011, 10:47 PM
"Double D's amphora's have definitely influenced this one. I haven't decided if I am going to enter it as my "beauty" for that very reason..."

It should be noted that there is nothing about this form that is "mine". It is an ancient form, the name of which I was not even aware of until I was enlightened by the very same Jeff Nichol who made that beautiful steady. All I have done is to interpret, just as you have done with what is looking like an excellent piece. Please don't hesitate on any account of mine!

Kathy Marshall
08-13-2011, 2:06 AM
Congrats Rick! Sure looks purty! I'll be taking mine for a spin this weekend!

Rick Markham
08-13-2011, 2:25 AM
"Double D's amphora's have definitely influenced this one. I haven't decided if I am going to enter it as my "beauty" for that very reason..."

It should be noted that there is nothing about this form that is "mine". It is an ancient form, the name of which I was not even aware of until I was enlightened by the very same Jeff Nichol who made that beautiful steady. All I have done is to interpret, just as you have done with what is looking like an excellent piece. Please don't hesitate on any account of mine!

Thanks David! :) Very well said. Jeff is a smarty, that's for sure. Hopefully I avoid "botching the job"... Time will tell!

Steve Schlumpf
08-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Congrats on the new steady and wood supplies!! Looking forward to seeing your beauty - once finished! I am loving the form!

Jeff Nicol
08-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Rick, Looks good on the lathe, but your shop is way to clean for me! I think I am blushing a bit from all the kind words from everyone! I do it because it gives me a great satisfaction to help others, got that from my Dad and GrandDad so I carry on the legacy!

Not much wood or metal work today, our daughter and grandson are here and we are going to out nephews wedding in an hour so I better get in shower or I will have to stand outside and jusl look in the window!

Have fun and the "Beauty" is looking good so far,

Jeff

Mark Hubl
08-13-2011, 4:38 PM
Sahweet lookin setup for sure. The HF is lookin pretty sweet as well. Looking forward to the finished pics.

Rick Markham
08-13-2011, 5:47 PM
Rick, Looks good on the lathe, but your shop is way to clean for me!

Jeff

The key is what you can't see in the photo... which is the rest of the shop... it is far from clean lol

Contrary to my previous report, my "ingenious" dust collection method is poor at best. ;) which means there is quite a mess on the floor (though you can still see my lathe, so I must be cleaner than some) :D