PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Planes

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2005, 2:08 PM
Was wondering what the difference is between a Stanley Defiance #4 plane and a Stanley #4 Smoothing plane? I cannot find any info explaining the differences between the 2 or is there any difference? I have a #5, #7, #34 28" wooden plane and 2 block planes. I also use scrappers for my final touch and maybe very little sanding. It was recommended to me that a good #4 smoothing plane was a must and would be a definate help in doing my small projects. Thanks for your help.

Bernie

Rick Whitehead
02-20-2005, 5:00 PM
There are two "Defiance" planes made by Stanley. The oldest are those made by the Bailey Tool Company and offered by Stanley for one year after their aquisition in 1879. Those are primarily collector's planes.
The later "Defiance" planes were a lower cost(and lower quality) plane offered from about 1920 to the mid 1950's.Those are not the same quality of the regular "Bailey" planes.
I have a later Defiance. It doesn't have the regular adjustment features of the Bailey planes. Instead, it has a solid frog with a thin blade. I don't think you could get it to do anything but rough work.
It sounds like you need to find a regular "Bailey" #4. If you have the earlier Defiance, my advice would be to sell it and buy a #4. If you have the later Defiance,my advice is to pass it by.
Hope this helps.
Rick