PDA

View Full Version : I stand Corrected

Craig Matheny
08-12-2011, 1:57 PM
I was talking to 2-6 supplier to Epilog for Lenses and Laser Research about my current lens issue (loss of power and lightness in the center of the lens) and we talked a lot about cleaning and they both explained how to clean a lens the correct way...

With that said I have learned that the grain alcohol (Ever-Clear) is a great cleaner for the oils and the grease and other types of containment's however with out following after with yes you are all right Regent Grade Acetone the alcohol leaves a film on the lens. The down fall to all of this is they say every time you clean the lens you remove some of the coating how minimal that may be. When I said that Epilog suggested against the Acetone they both where shocked as this is the best cleaner they can recommend for regular cleaning. So I have now humbled myself to the vast knowledge of this board and members and can say only one thing Thank you for the challenge, because with out it I would still be cleaning my lens with the Alcohol only and from what they said and most of you if not all :rolleyes: I will use the Acetone and drink the alcohol because wasting good alcohol is just a bad idea.:D

Michael Kowalczyk
08-12-2011, 2:52 PM
Hey Craig,
Every once in a while we are all in that humbling position. So that this does not effect others I suggest you go back through your posts and correct them so that some newbie doesn't read it and implement it because they have a bottle lying around the shop. Just a thought.

Craig Matheny
08-12-2011, 3:01 PM
Good thought I will do that Thanks

Mike Null
08-12-2011, 7:15 PM
Craig

Crow is best eaten warm. I can tell you from much experience.:D

Martin Boekers
08-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Actually I m surprised that they recommended Acetone as a lens cleaner.
Did Epilog say they will cover a replacement lens if damaged from Acetone?
there are so many different coatings on lenses I would be worried about
saving a couple bucks buying Acetone instead a lens cleaning solution.
Sometimes we try to save a $ in areas that shouldn't be.

Come on Epilog or ULS, Rabbit or any other manufacture. Do you recommend Acetone?
Will you cover damage to the lense if it occurs?

kyle kitto
08-13-2011, 4:18 AM
We had to have a ULS service rep come out and help me with some maintenance and he specifically told me to use acetone. When we first Got our machines in 8 years ago he had us using denatured alchohol. He told me to stop with the alchohol and switch to acetone.

Craig Matheny
08-13-2011, 6:34 PM
Martin Epilog suggested not to use it how ever the supplier that supplies their lens's 2-6 says to use it or alcohol http://www.iiviinfrared.com/optics_handling_cleaning here is the link on cleaning that has been passed around before. I talked to my rep today at a show and he said that to much acetone will affect the lens coating. What do you use to clean the lens?