PDA

View Full Version : Turned Easter gift ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
04-19-2003, 5:47 PM
Trying to think of something I could make for my wonderful SWMBO for Easter ... and I came up with this candy dish out of the vast store of Cherry I have on hand. I turned the bowl and the lid out of two separate pieces. I try to use the same piece for both, but didn't have one on hand that was deep enough. The bowl is 7 1/2" X 4" with a wide lip on the inside top, which I undercut with the new hollowing tool I was given this week. This lip is what the lid sits on, with a small ring on the underside of the lid to keep it from sliding off the bowl when it's picked up. the lid is 6" X 2" and is also hollowed out. I figured if I gave it to her with candy in it, it hopefully will benefit both of us. Since it'll be used for candy, I only applied a mineral oil finish. Thanks for looking. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday.

Richard Allen
04-19-2003, 8:07 PM
Hi Ron

Very nice! I am sure she will be happy with it. I think lidded bowls are some of the nicest turnings. There is so much room for variation.

One nice variation is to slope the rim. I find a rim slopping in to give an "inviting" look to the bowl and a rim slopping out give a "protective" look to the bowl.

Put the opposite slope to the rim of the lid and it becomes self centering. This is to say that the lid will settle into the proper place.

Thanks

Jim Baker
04-19-2003, 9:09 PM
Ron,
Will you be filling it with her favorite candy or yours? This kind of thing always seems to get me in trouble.

The dish looks very nice.

Happy Easter!