PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld

Heather Thompson
08-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Creekers

I do not know if this is the best place for this thread but here goes anyway. I am working on my husbands Subaru's breaks and the left rear backing plate (dust shield ) has a hole rusted through it, wondering if JB Weld starts out runny or has a thicker consistency that will allow me to form the material to patch the hole. Looking at their website leads me to believe that I may be able to give the product a few minutes to setup to achive a workable consistency I need. Any experience or other thoughts would be appreciated.

Heather

Bryan Morgan
08-12-2011, 2:12 PM
Its fairly runny. How big is the hole? Once it starts setting up it doesn't stick very well... Its basically just epoxy. Also, if its too close to the rotor/drum I'd be concerned with it melting from the heat.

Greg Portland
08-12-2011, 4:00 PM
Heather, look at the 2 part solid epoxies (Ace hardware, etc.). It's basically a putty that you mix together that will stick to pretty much anything. A sheet on each side of the hole should do the trick.

Belinda Barfield
08-12-2011, 4:04 PM
I am working on my husbands Subaru's breaks
Heather

Heather, I have absolutely no useful advice. I just love that you are working on your husband's brakes. Just up the street there is an old truck for sale and every day I say I'm going to stop and take a look at it. I told the SO this morning that I really want that truck because I can actually work on it if it breaks down. He said, "Yeah, that will last about as long as the first time a wrench slips and you bust a knuckle." He didn't know me when I almost constantly had busted knuckles from living on a farm. Nothing ever needs repairs on a farm. :rolleyes:

I now return you to On Topic.

Craig Matheny
08-12-2011, 9:21 PM
Heather I am guessing you are finished by now but if you put a washer on the one side and glue that to the dust cover then you would be fine if there is room put one each side forego the jb weld and just tighten it up it will pinch the unit in place