PDA

View Full Version : Question about filtration or exhaust system for yag laser

john kowalski2
08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi ,

I have a yag dpss that I laser mark the class 3 hardcoat anodized aluminum parts with. that creates little black particles and shoots them in the air, would you be able to give me any advice on exhaust fan/configuration or filtering system for it ?

Ive got Jet Air 1000 running during the engraving process but it doesnt seem to suck it all in (its not hooked up to any duct system or anything like that) , the second option that I was considering was to get an inline duct (what cfm?) 4 or 6" and connect it with the semi rigid vent that would go thru the vent adapter outside. Now on the other side I would connect a duct line and terminate it in the area where the laser beam hits the part during the angraving process.

What do you guys think about it ? Would that work ?

Do you have any suggestions ?

Thank you very much for help.

Joe De Medeiros
08-12-2011, 11:40 AM
it would help if we knew was your setup looks like. The Jet Air 1000 is designed to clean air borne wood dust, so I'm not surprised it's not doing a good job.

john kowalski2
08-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Joe, the Jet air is hanging of of the ceiling above the galvo head of the laser. below youve got the laser and the work area table underneath (thats where all the dust is being collected) the whole setup is in the basement of the house so I dont really have much room to play with.

matthew knott
08-12-2011, 1:50 PM
Hi John, you need a ducted system of some type, we have quite a powerfull extractor sucking through 3' hose that be but as close as we can to the engraving area and we still get lots off dust left behind after engraving anodized products, we have to hover up after a few hours and at the end of the job. We just have a powerfull extractor fan that simply vents to the outside of the building. You can buy cheapish fume extractor units designed for soldering stations that work fine, but i found because of the mix of dust and fumes the carbon filters dont last long! A simple small vacuum cleaner will work to remove all the dust (think you call them shop vacs) but they make alot of noise, you could try to make a box to fit over the jetair input with a hose attached and see what suction you get but i doubt it would leave you with a clean working area at the end
Matt