PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom hamper plus

Gene Bartholomew
08-12-2011, 8:35 AM
The primary function of this piece started out as a deluxe hamper, but I suppose it is more than that. This is my design. The top is ambrosia maple, attached to the sides with long tenons fitting in dadoes in the sides. The back peg (maple) on each side goes into the top to fix it in place. The other three on each side are purely decorative. The panel insets on each side are also ambrosia maple. The frame and backsplash are walnut. Set into the backsplash is a decorative ceramic tile called a listello. The drawer fronts are cut from a single maple plank. The door inserts are half-lap lattice panels of maple. In the center are two movable shelves with a walnut leader with ambrosia maple in the back, and there is a similar shelf behind the left door. Obviously the right side is designed to visually mimic the left, but the drawer and door are combined to pull out together and hold the hamper, which was purchased from The Container Store. The little clips holding it in are designed to flex out when you pull the hamper up and out. Not very visible in the pictures, but visible when in front of the hamper, is the manufactured cork flooring I used for the bottom shelf. It is prefinished and looks striking in my opinion. The entire piece is finished in precatalyzed laquer without any stain or coloring (the last two pictures are lacking color intensity). Previously posted in BT3central.

Conrad Fiore
08-12-2011, 9:42 AM
Nifty looking piece Gene. With a tweek of the hamper area, it would even make a fine looking wine cabinet.

thomas prusak
08-19-2011, 8:57 AM
Beautiful gene. Nice work!