PDA

View Full Version : CL find, price too high?

Ken Kimbrell
08-12-2011, 8:22 AM
Been looking to buy my first lathe, my experience on turning is zero and my budget is rather limited so I've considered the cheaper options like HF and Craig's list for lathes and found this on CL:

http:// winstonsalem.craigslist.org/tls/2513324633.html

Everything here is brand new, never used and purchased in June of last year. I intended to take up woodturning as a hobby, but have never gotten around to it. It is time to get this out of the garage.

- Shop Fox W1752 Mini Wood Lathe - 6 speed, 1/2 horsepower

- PSI Woodworking Midi Lathe Chisel 6-Piece set (includes 5/32" diamond parting tool, 1/2" round nose scraper, 3/4" spindle gouge, 1/2" oval skew, 3/8" bowl gouge, 3/4" roughing gouge, and carrying case)

- Homemade lathe stand

- 2 nice wood blocks for turning into small bowls (I can't remember what types of wood they are)He is currently asking $280.00 but may go a little lower.
Is this a decent lathe and is the price close to being reasonable?

Thanks... Ken

Tom Winship
08-12-2011, 8:34 AM
Ken,
The lathe is somewhere around $240, new. I'm guessing the tool set between $80 and $90 (the 6 piece sets at PSI are in this range). So I would say if they are new, it is okay, but I would press him to go lower. $200 maybe?

Marty Eargle
08-12-2011, 8:40 AM
I have the HF 34706 which is the clone of the Jet 1236. I got if from HF with a coupon for like $175 and it has been well worth it. Before I started collecting tools, HF has a $50 set of tools that are very good for the price, but does lack a bowl gouge.

Some people have had trouble with this lathe (like most HF tools) but I've been using it a few hours a day for nearly six months with little to no problems. One thing about getting a lathe is that 9 times out of 10, you're going to want to get the most powerful lathe you can for the money you're willing to spend. Turning is fairly addictive and the desire to upgrade is going to hit you quickly. The HF lathe has a larger swing and a more powerful motor. I wish I had something with more than a 3/4hp motor...so I can't imagine the 1/2hp.

Tim Leiter
08-12-2011, 8:45 AM
It looks like it should be a pretty good starter set for turning small items. I would see if he could lower the price, as well. That price is almost the same as you can get it from the store, with warranties.

Andrew Kertesz
08-12-2011, 8:59 AM
With very little searching I found this lathe online NEW w/free shipping for $224.00, the tool set goes for $46.58 on Amazon again free shipping. With Fall coming there will be many places having sales because people tend to start spending more time in the shop. Unless you "gotta" have it now I would keep searching and increasing my budget while doing so.

Ken Kimbrell
08-12-2011, 9:16 AM
Thanks for all of the replies Guys... lots of good points.

I'm set to go look at the lathe tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon, but in the meantime will continue to check prices and take your advice on taking my time.

This is not something that 'needs to/has to' to be in my shop, so a little more research could be a good thing. :)

Keith Westfall
08-13-2011, 12:25 AM
This is not something that 'needs to/has to' to be in my shop...

Ken, You should write this out and tack it up on your shop wall. Once you start down the 'turning' road everything "needs to/has to" be in your shop!!! Even things you don't need, need to be in your shop!!!

There is help, but the best way is to just spend your way out! It's the only cure.

If fact, I'll have this thing beat just as soon as I buy a few more tools... :(

Really, I will.

Really.

Soon...

Ken Kimbrell
08-13-2011, 4:56 AM
Ken, You should write this out and tack it up on your shop wall. Once you start down the 'turning' road everything "needs to/has to" be in your shop!!! Even things you don't need, need to be in your shop!!!

There is help, but the best way is to just spend your way out! It's the only cure.

If fact, I'll have this thing beat just as soon as I buy a few more tools... :(

Really, I will.

Really.

Soon...

I've already seen that with the postings of others here in the turnings boards. :D