PDA

View Full Version : lathe finally set up, and with custom paint too

curtis rosche
08-11-2011, 11:44 PM
i finally got my lathe set up. i got the motor runnin and the gear box hooked up. got the belts run and the springs sprung. tested it out, unbelieveable amount of torque. cuts through hard maple without stopping even with the easy rougher hogging off wood. the tool rest is going to be remade soon(the post could be bigger and its not parallel to the ways) at my new job at a local weld shop, but other than that its runs awesome. i need to redo the switch wiring so it can reverse, but it runs forward well. i also painted it. i wanted baby blue and pale orange, but i got what i store had. comments and critques welcom

curtis rosche
08-11-2011, 11:47 PM
a couple more pictures

Billy Tallant
08-12-2011, 1:17 AM
Curtis, nice job restoring that lathe. Looks good. Now waiting to see what you turn with it!

Greg Just
08-12-2011, 6:51 AM
Nice job Curtis. Are you a fan of the Denver Bronco's? That's what I thought of when I saw the colors. Looks like you are all set to turn.

Roger Chandler
08-12-2011, 7:10 AM
Congrats on the rebuild Curtis!

John Keeton
08-12-2011, 7:16 AM
Looks like you sure put the work into it, Curtis. Big difference from before!

Rob Cunningham
08-12-2011, 9:14 AM
Looks good Curtis.
Make sure you put some kind of cover around that lower pulley. That's a nasty accident waiting to happen.

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Looking pretty good Curtis.

phil harold
08-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Looks good Curtis.
Make sure you put some kind of cover around that lower pulley. That's a nasty accident waiting to happen.
+1
That belt is scary looking!
Safety first!

Josh Bowman
08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
As Tim "the Tool Man Allen" would say. Oooooh, Oooooh, Oooooh, Ooh! That's a real mans lathe! You don't need no stinking safety covers.
Nice job, looking forward to seeing it produce turnings again.

charlie knighton
08-12-2011, 11:56 AM
congratulations, Curtis

Steve Vaughan
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
One heck of a lathe right there! I'm liking it.

Bill Bolen
08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Looks like you put in a lot of time, thought and effort. Your hard work sure paid off for you. Enjoy it now..

Don Orr
08-12-2011, 1:36 PM
Nice work Curtis. That'll do nicely. Now go get it dirty!

Tim Thiebaut
08-12-2011, 2:05 PM
Curtis you did a very nice job on that, and that gear box is insanely massive!!! Another vote for covering the pulley for your safety, have fun with it and stay safe.

curtis rosche
08-12-2011, 4:33 PM
the pulley you all are reffereing too. is it the one from the gearbox to the spindle? at a later date (when my wallet fills back up) i might make some stainless gaurds on the flow jet at work, or better yer maybe chrome:D.

Tim, the gear box was originally on a line shaft and is rated somewhere between 20 and 50 hp. it weights upwards of 100lbs. the springs on the tensioning have somewhere around80lbs of pull on them.

im still puttin some heavy clear coats on it to made a thicker finish. but i cant wait to try something large and thin. there is no slop at all in the spindle so i can be very accurate no with no vibration.

anyone have wheels on their lathe? this thing takes two or three people to move and im thinkin about some wheels.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-12-2011, 5:11 PM
WOW! Sweet! Good job.

Baxter Smith
08-12-2011, 8:15 PM
Where there's a will there's a way. Nice job Curtis. Hope you get to turn something soon!

ed hoxter
08-12-2011, 8:45 PM
curtis, that sure is BLUE ! ed

David E Keller
08-12-2011, 9:38 PM
Congrats on getting it up and running! It's got a Boise State feel for me(more of a college fan than a pro fan). The paint on the ways seems like it might make sliding the banjo more difficult, but it sure looks purdy!

Mike Cruz
08-12-2011, 10:45 PM
How come the peanut gallery doesn't have orange stripes?

Interesting that you chose to paint the ways. I would think the tailstock would mess up the paint...

Otherwise, kudos to you for individualizing your lathe. I didn't have the cajones to stray from PM hunter green for my restoration. Thought about all kinds of color schemes...but green won out...I'm so weak...

curtis rosche
08-12-2011, 11:07 PM
the colors arent for any team or anything. i was just trying to use colors i like and get something different from everyone elses lathe.

the paint actually helps the tailstock a little bit. the rust on it before made it not slide smooth, and its not a ground flat surface. i figured since i do mainly bowls, the paint will prevent rust from forming and that the paint will wear off in high use areas. the high use areas will get enough use and friction that they wont rust. and the tail stock doesnt go the whole width of the bed, so it wont completely tear off the paint in the high use spots.

the banjo is a peice of plate with a bolt. its easier to lossen and move than the banjos with a cam-lock