PDA

View Full Version : Seems like a small bargain

Rich Purdum
08-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm new to turning and am up to bowl #10 with a PSI chuck. I was turning a larger end grain piece two weeks ago and figured I had hit the wall. The lathe is an old 14/11 Delta (1"x8 spindle) but it seemed to me the chuck was the limiting factor. I got an email feed from Tekna on some SN2 factory refurbs for a reasonable price and was wondering if others here had any experience with their refurb products? My future plans include a larger (PM90) machine so I'm looking to the future as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Josh Bowman
08-12-2011, 6:52 AM
I like my SN2 chuck, I like my Oneway talon better, seems it will holds a little better. Looks like you can get it for $100 versus Amazon at $165. Sounds like a good deal at 40% off. Looks like it's warranted for 1 year also.

This might be a bargain also:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170889-1-quot-x-8-TPI-lathe-stuff

Michael Mills
08-12-2011, 1:31 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. I have not bought a refurbished but I do have four Nova chucks. I really don’t think Nova would sell anything (even refurbished) that was not up to speed.

I purchased a Nova on ebay that was never used (seller stated he could not understand how it worked :confused: ... he did have the “blank” or unthreaded insert). So that said, there could be any number of reasons items are returned.

Greg Just
08-12-2011, 3:13 PM
Looks like a good deal, but don't forget you have to buy the threaded adaptor too which adds another $20. Sometimes places sell them with the adaptors included.

Rich Purdum
08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks to all for posting. I'm going ahead with this purchase as it will definitely improve my current setup. One thing I did notice was there is no spindle adapter for a 1-1/2" 8 TPI machine. My Delta is 1". When I eventually move and (hopefully) get some more space I was going to start looking for a PM90 to refurb but it has a 1-1/2 spindle. I guess I can find (or have fabricated) a 1-1/2" to 1" adapter? I'll poke around over at OWWM to see what I can find out.

When I went to check out with the chuck and the 1" adapter, they doubled the shipping cost from $7.99 to over $15 bucks, all for a $20 part. I deleted the adapter and ordered it through Woodcraft with some other stuff and their $10 off offer. Net was I got it for $20 delivered plus some other goodies I needed. Seems like they could have just put the adapter in the box with the chuck and shipped it? Oh well.