PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ways to relieve ankle/knee/hip fatigue from standing on a slab shop floor

scott vroom
08-11-2011, 8:48 PM
I'm looking for ways to relieve the fatigue and discomfort of standing on a concrete slab shop floor for hours on end. Has anyone tried any of the "anti-fatigue pads" marketed to address this problem? I'm thinking of getting several and positioning them at various points arount the shop: router station, table saw, sanding station, work bench. I've been building cabinets for pay and don't have the luxury to tailor my work schedule around aching joints/muscles.

Larry Frank
08-11-2011, 9:10 PM
I sympathize with you. I have bought the small square colored foam mats and use them around the shop. I put a couple in places that I use all of the time like the router table and saw and then have extras that I move around as needed. I also bought. I also have a couple that I bought at Woodcraft and have been happy with them.

Dan Rude
08-11-2011, 9:15 PM
I use cow stall Mat's that are at farm supply stores. They are 4' x 6' and come in 1/2" & 3/4". They can even withstand the wieght of the machine, I use them in my garage and cars don't even harm them. Otherwise, a good set of Red Wing boots help me, so I use both together.

Dan

Carroll Courtney
08-11-2011, 9:19 PM
Having a slab and not the head room for putting down sleepers then tongue/groove flooring I have the rubber mats from Tractor Supply that are 3'x6'xmaybe 1" thick.While it may look like it helps,I really can't feel a difference.I think that spending alittle more money for good shop shoes would be the way to go----Carroll

Peter Elliott
08-11-2011, 9:31 PM
I say this 100x a year.. go buy some crocs. go online and find the version that has the solid top and sides. always wear socks.. lightweight in summer, wool type in winter.

Crocs sells a version that has no holes, so chips stay out...

I noticed immediate relief.

Jerry Bruette
08-11-2011, 9:41 PM
We have anti-fatigue mats at work, all different styles, thicknesses, and degrees of firmness. They seem to work, but I'll echo Dan. A good pair of shoes with a proper footbed or insoles will make a world of difference.

I wear Red Wing boots and put a pair of Spenco Poly-Sorbs in them.

Jerry

Jamie Buxton
08-11-2011, 9:45 PM
I'm with Peter on this. You can put soft mats all over the shop, or you can put softness just where you're standing -- that is, in your shoes. The shoes approach means you get the benefits everywhere, not just where you put the mats. And you're in no danger of tripping over the edges of the mats. My shop shoes are Keens.

Craig McCormick
08-11-2011, 9:46 PM
Redwing boots or crocks, and anti fatigue mats.Craig McCormick

Andrew Joiner
08-11-2011, 9:49 PM
I make my own insoles out of EVA foam. Crocs are made from EVA foam.
You can vary the thickness and get real cushy like floor-mats everywhere. 1/2" thick foam is about the maximum.
I buy athletic shoes one size bigger than normal and add 3/8" thick EVA inside.

Peter Elliott
08-11-2011, 10:34 PM
The key to crocs is GO TRY THEM ON! in the shop. You should always have the back strap down around your achilles. Make sure they are not super loose. If the store doesn't have the solid no hole version, then order them online. Croc usually runs sales and you can find discount codes. I have worn all kind of shoes from Redwing to Herman Survivors.. but in the woodworking shop making wood stuff, crocs hand down.

fRED mCnEILL
08-12-2011, 1:50 AM
I have the same problem. Old age causing sore knees etc. I build horse tack boxes so there is lots of assembly similar to cabinets. After falling off my work bench when standing on it to do some work on the top of a box,I bought a hydraulic table. I call it my barber chair. Bough it at Princess Auto (Canada's version of HF)for $100 so it was cheap. Now I raise and lower the work to suit me. I also bought a hydraulic mechanics chair (also cheap at $25). Kinda the shop version of an office chair that raises and lowers. It also has castors. These two things allow me to work in the shop all day long with minimal discomfort.While you can't sit for all the work you do in the shop there is enough time that you can work sitting down that makes it well worthwhile.

johnny means
08-12-2011, 1:54 AM
My first few years in the business I suffered terribly with foot and leg problems. I developed plantar fasciitis,shin splints, and some type of popping hip issue. I found that really good boots were the key for me. My body seems to really like 2" heels and the support of a really high logger style (YMMV). Cushioning may help relieve some of the discomfort, but nothing works as well as finding the mechanics of your body and taking corrective measures. For me the problem was heel pain, seems spent most of my day standing on my heels instead of evenly distributing my weight. Tall heels transfer some of my weight to the balls of my feet. Calf high boots tied correctly give my legs a little added stability so my muscles don't work so hard stabilizing the rest of me all day. I still have foot problems within 4 hours if I wear sneakers or slippers to work, but with my boots on I can put in a 16 hour day with no pain at all. BTW the type of boot I buy typically has very little padding. IME thick padding does nothing to support or adjust my natural mechanic. My Crocs feel great when I slide em on to go grocery shopping but when I work in them I find the small toe side of my foot working to hard to maintain my balance and this eventual leads to pain.

You might want to try an experiment that I did. Try spending a day in the shop in your socks, just socks. The human body is really well engineered and generally this semi barefoot state will allow the body to work as designed. I discovered that I never felt any discomfort when working in socks. Of course, this comes with its own risk in a shop and is not really a solution. But I was able to learn that it wasn't the long hours standing and walking or anything wrong with my feet or legs, it was my ill chosen shoes.

Now, I have no idea what might help you. My point is that finding out what's going wrong between your body, your shoes and the floor will go a long way toward ending discomfort.

Larry Edgerton
08-12-2011, 6:24 AM
Red Wing boots, the ones with the white soles that are still made in Red Wing Minn., and gel insoles.

Larry

Kent A Bathurst
08-12-2011, 6:34 AM
Scott - based on a reasonable knowledge of the concepts and application of ergonomics in a manufacturing setting [oddly enough, making stuff out of softwood], I can offer this:

1] Work surface height is important, because of how it affects overall posture....but there often is not much that you can do here re: machine table height
2] As mentioned, shoes are important - I'd tend to favor the redwing work boots over the crocs in a workshop, but don't have any real life experience with the crocs, because they would never be allowed near the shop floor in a commercial operation [same for tennis shoes, etc.].
3] The anti-fatigue mats are a biggie - they work. Former employer made them a requirement @ each facility, and corporation spent multiple hundreds of thousands of $$ on them. Understand that you will be effectively lowering your work height by standing on them, so if you have a work table that is "maybe I should raise it" height, this could move you to "I really need to raise it". If you see ones that make you think "those are fairly inexpensive" then you are looking at the wrong product. The good ones cost money. I do not have a specific style or brand - you need to consider what style would seem to work best for you - solid surface prolly better idea than honeycomb design where there is sawdust, chips, and shavings flying around. I could check in with former colleagues to give you some ideas - PM if you are interested in that.

Brian Tymchak
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
I developed plantar fasciitis not tool long after I started working more in my basement shop about 4 years ago. It has helped me greatly to get orthotics. Hasn't completely solved all my foot pain, but a lot of it. Also helped with some of the chronic back pain and some ankle problems that I have. (If you were here in central OH, I'd recommend a great pediatrist.)

I haven't tried them but I've seen the Dr. Scholls orthotics advertised that cost less than custom orthotics like I got. Maybe that's a fairly inexpensive experiment you can try. I also see Good Feet advertised. I think they are a national chain.

Hope you find a quick solution.

David Hostetler
08-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Having spent a decade and a half on shop floors, and in home improvement retail, I can tell you what worked for me over those years, and what I have implemented in my own shop...

#1, and most important. High quality footwear. I specifically wear Hi Tech full leather upper hikers, and Thorlo hiking socks, year round. They wick moisutre away from my feet, keep me warm without frying me no matter the climate.
#2. Anti Fatigue mats where you will be standing for long periods. In the home improvement centers, we used them at each of the cutting stations.
#3. Get off your feet when and where you can. Invest in some good quality shop stools, or build some. I have a pair of stools from Woodcraft. Not the best, but they are a place to put my backside and get the weight off of my knees for a while.... I like to use these especially when I am at the work bench, or band saw. Not so much for the table saw / lathe etc.. However even though OneWay claims to have the only "sit down lathe" out there. I have been known to sit at a stool while turning. Not sure that is a good idea, not sure it is a bad one either...

Bruce Kohl
08-16-2011, 7:37 PM
I have some anti-fatique mats over a concrete floor in front of my major machines and the workbench. I go them from Northern Tools and they work reasonably well. (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=anti+fatique+mats&Nty=1&D=anti+fatique+mats&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial)

I also recently got a pair of Z-Coil shoes - the shoes with the coil spring in the heel - and these have worked very well to relieve leg and hip pain from prolonged standing. (http://www.zcoil.com/) They're a little pricey, but they sure are easy on the feet and legs. They are popular with nurses and others who are on their feet all day. You can get a steel toe model with the spring enclosed in the heel. I highly recommend them for those long sessions in the shop.

Jim Neeley
08-16-2011, 7:47 PM
I wore Z-Coils exclusively for 3 or 4 years and they were great for my back and feet, but recognize that the mild balance-correcting you do all day puts lateral stress on your knees. I quit wearing them due to knee pain about a year ago as the knee pain had been getting progressive worse over the year before that. I quit wearing them and, while the knees still hurt, they quit getting worse. Some day though, I'll need to look at knee surgery.

I'm a large guy though, so if you're thin the impact may be minimal??? YMMV.

Dick Thomas
08-16-2011, 8:22 PM
RE: Anti-Fatigue mats: Check out Harbor Frieght. They carry a 4-pack of 2'x2' interlocking mats. usually around $10 - I bought a couple cases when they were on sale for about $8, and use them in the shop. Also used them to completely cover the floor in a basement (i.e. slab) workout room. Them are great, relatively inexpensive, and have lasted well.

Terry Beadle
08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
1. Good shoes/boots with ankle and arch support is key.
2. Anti-fatigue mats are great.
3. Sit down and take a break every 20 min. Just for a few minutes. Think about what you are doing now or what you'll do next. Great use of time.

You can also make anti fatigue mats out of wood. Construct them in a grid with fairly long ( about 18 in to 24 in ) between horizontal supports that are atleast a 1/4 inch proud of the standing material. Choose stock/scraps that have strength but also spring to them. Hickory is too tough. Red oak ripped thin enough will work etc.

Paul Canaris
08-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Scott, there are three things that have helped me:
1. Horse Stall Mats (available at local tractor supply) as they are very durable; use them in area's where you stand in a lot.
2. I also attempt to do tasks such as sanding (which can take a long time) from a seated position when feasible.
3. If you can afford it; orthotic supports (the real custom fitted kind, not the store bought junk). They hard as a rock, but actually provide significant relief when standing or walking a lot.

glenn bradley
08-18-2011, 6:48 PM
I have had the cheap colored interlocking mats that Sam's sells for years. Plenty of abuse. No failures, Lots of saved edges on dropped tools. Lots of saved fatigue. They were about $20 for 48s q. ft. when I bought them. Gray on one side (colored side goes down in my shop) and about 1/2" thick.

Craig McCormick
08-18-2011, 9:25 PM
I received my first pair of Crocks a few days ago and love them so far!

Rich Engelhardt
08-19-2011, 6:37 AM
A cheap or expensive - your choice - elastic back brace works wonders.
Reading glasses, if your old eyes aren't what they used to be, also go a long way.

I've found that as I've gotten older (LOL! And rounder! & half blind) that it's not all about your feet.
If one part of your old carcus gets cranky, it can affect the rest of you big time.

When my back started to act up, I found myself shifting my weight from one foot to the other. After a few hours of that, my legs would just scream.

Somewhat the same with using reading glasses instead of the bi-focals some of the time. The bi-focals force me to hold my head in one (uncomfotabe) position. In no time at all, my neck, then my back, then the rest of me was ready to call it quits. Reading glasses help since I'm not "lcoked in" to one head/neck position.

Dan Hintz
08-19-2011, 9:19 AM
RE: Anti-Fatigue mats: Check out Harbor Frieght. They carry a 4-pack of 2'x2' interlocking mats. usually around $10 - I bought a couple cases when they were on sale for about $8, and use them in the shop. Also used them to completely cover the floor in a basement (i.e. slab) workout room. Them are great, relatively inexpensive, and have lasted well.
They're currently listed at $10 if you search for "mat" on their website, but when you click on it they show as $9:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

I have had the cheap colored interlocking mats that Sam's sells for years. Plenty of abuse. No failures, Lots of saved edges on dropped tools. Lots of saved fatigue. They were about $20 for 48s q. ft. when I bought them. Gray on one side (colored side goes down in my shop) and about 1/2" thick.
That's a much better deal per square foot than even the HF ones... I assume this is what you are talking about:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=107930
$22 for 33.5 square feet, eight (roughly) 2' square pieces.

glenn bradley
08-19-2011, 9:37 AM
That's a much better deal per square foot than even the HF ones... I assume this is what you are talking about:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=107930
$22 for 33.5 square feet, eight (roughly) 2' square pieces.

That's them. My recollection of the price was better than my recollection of the size :p. I have been beating on them for some years and they are doing great. I guess if you design something to survive kindergartners, they can survive us.

Reagen Ward
08-19-2011, 8:55 PM
I haven't tried them but I've seen the Dr. Scholls orthotics advertised that cost less than custom orthotics like I got. Maybe that's a fairly inexpensive experiment you can try. I also see Good Feet advertised. I think they are a national chain.Hope you find a quick solution.For my serious plantar fasciitis, and everyone else's foot fatigue, SuperFeet. They even blow away my custom orthotics.

Craig Coney
08-19-2011, 11:13 PM

+1 for the Sams Club mats. I have tried many different brands, and the Sams Club mats are much more comfortable for me.

Scott Driemel
08-24-2011, 9:20 PM
Hi. I just was in the exact position. I'm on a hobby farm so I 1st tried my stall mats from my farm supplier. Heavy, & worse ... smelled like rubber for months. They are about 1" thick so they had a trip factor I didn't like. Also stepping backwards off one sometimes gibbled my leg. Next I tried an actual "anti-fatigue" mat at a local Borg. Expensive! Mine was too soft, and I had to constantly struggle with balance. Not a huge issue but it was distracting enough to not fully concentrate on the tool I was working on. This is sounding like Goldilocks isn't it? The next one I tried was from Costco. I'd looked at 'em for years and thought, "man, for the price ..$14.99 for 32 sq ft, these things must be garbage!". But I figured what the heck, and bought a set. Easy peazy to hook up. They are grey with a checkerplate pattern on them. At this price I figured they'd curl or not be soft enough or just too soft. WOW! Was I ever pleasantly surprised. They aren't the best in the world I'm sure, but pretty dang decent for me and the price was so reasonable I was able to put a ton of them into my shop. Only con I see is they are light in weight and if you only have 2 or 4 together, (they come as a 2'x2' sq) you can kick them out of place. I've dropped chisels, screwdrivers and other "stuff", so far not a gouge & it's saved each tool. In my opinion, I will recommend these. They are cheap, easy to install, (oh but they do smell quite chemical-ish when 1st opened I must add, goes in a week or so) and by design, interlock so I can "wrap" them around my machines. I couldn't be happier. Got a product that works for me just fine and saved a ton of dough to spend on other stuff. Shoes sure help too of course. Hey for $14.99, try a pkg and see. I kick myself now for not doing it years ago.

Dan Hintz
08-25-2011, 6:43 AM
Yeah, now if I can just find a friend that still has a Sam's/Costco membership... we let ours go a year or two back. Just wasn't seeing much of a benefit.

Jim Becker
09-05-2011, 6:25 PM
I use anti-fatigue mats...and buy them from Uline.com. They have a very good selection of sizes so you can fit things ideal for a particular workstation or set of workstations. I use the same matt product in our kitchen in the "galley" area between the range/sink/counter and the island as the floor is made of brick.

Jim Andrew
09-06-2011, 6:43 AM
I was having back problems, started going to a chiropractor, he has a scanner you stand on and checks your feet for arch problems, then recommends arch support foot pads, which you put in your shoes. They really do help but very expensive, approx 400$, checked out the companys website, and they only sell to chiropractors. I'm planning to go to the Walmart kiosk for the footpads they are advertising next time I need replacements.

Larry Edgerton
09-06-2011, 7:09 AM
I have decided to do a floating wood floor in my new shop. I worked on concrete all weekend, and everything hurt, so I am commited. Wood floor.....

Larry

Jerome Stanek
09-06-2011, 7:25 AM
Can you get steel toed Crocs? As far as inserts for shoes my podiatrist said not to get the ones that they sell at walmart they cost almost as much as custom fit ones or a good work boot is better also.

Matt Meiser
09-06-2011, 7:49 AM
I don't think they make steel toed ones but I did finally find some I like for the shop with a completely closed toe.
http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=11599&pg=1015270

Kohls has them too.