PDA

View Full Version : Turning tools

Harry Niemann
08-11-2011, 4:38 PM
My turning tools are old Craftsman dating from the 1950's. I'm wondering if modern tools have any better steel in them. Will the edges last any longer?

Chris Atzinger
08-11-2011, 4:51 PM
Most modern turning tools are HSS, which hold an edge longer than regular carbon steel (I also started with an old set of Craftsman tools. There are tons of choices out there. My turning tools are robert sorby or pinnacle or woodriver. Nothing fancy. If you want to replace them on the cheap, Harbor Freight has a set of HSS turning tools for $60 or so. I have not tried them however.

Depending on the type of turning you do, you might want to look into the Easy Wood Tools Brand (http://www.easywoodtools.com/ They seem like good guys). They use replaceable carbide inserts that just screw on/off=no sharpening. I actually made my own version by grinding a rabbet onte tip of some square steel stock, drilling/taping then screwing the insert on. I got the inserts from grizzly, sold as inserts for planer heads. That thing removes material faster than any tool I have ever used. Scary fast. Just a thought.

Good luck!
Chris

Todd Bin
08-11-2011, 5:26 PM
Hello Harry,

Yes, there has definitely been advances in steel. I would second Chris' recommendation for easy wood tools. The rougher is great and super fast like Chris said. But it will set you back about $130.

For Bowl gouges, scrapers, spindle gouges etc. I highly recommend Thompson Lathe tools. Doug is a super nice guy who makes all the tools himself. He uses powder steel with high Vanadium content that is cryo treated. These tools will hold an edge a loooooong time. The handles he sells are also nice.

But every turner is going to have their preference.

~Todd

Kyle Iwamoto
08-11-2011, 8:30 PM
You do know that there is a woodturning forum don't you? BUT be careful, we'll suck you down the vortex and make you spend copious amounts of money...
I got the Harbor Freight set of cheapo tools, and I think it's a super deal. I'm not saying they are great tools, because they aren't. They are really good though, and for around 40 - 60 bucks, you can't go wrong. If you don't like the tool, they're cheap enough that you can grind them into a shape you can use. I still use most of them.
Doug Thompson makes some super tools for a good price. All you'd need to get started is the Harbor Freight set and a couple gouges from Doug. I'd start with a 1/2" bowl gouge at least. The H.F. set does not have a bowl gouge.