PDA

View Full Version : A Gloat My new saw from Klaus and Pedder

George Beck
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM

I have spent the morning putting my new saw from Klaus and Pedder through some paces. I am not a very good photographer but here is this beauty with a Karelian Birch tote. It really is beautiful but how does it cut? Here are some test cuts (just free handed not to lines). The saw starts easy and cuts surprising fast for such a fine toothed saw. I have a tendency to drift right a bit but by the 4th cut I had the hang of it. The smoothness of the cut is fantastic. The end of this piece of hard bird's eye maple is table saw smooth. I am thinking of having this saw engraved by Catherine Kennedy. The plate is .018 (pretty thin for a CC saw) with 17-18 Tpi set up European Cross cut. The only criticism I could possibly have is the hang is a bit relaxed like most European and American saws. Sometimes a more aggressive hang is helpful on a CC. I really like these guys saws. You just feel good using them. Oh the box is a little hummingbird box I just finished. The pic got in by mistake. Thanks for looking!

Jim Neeley
08-11-2011, 12:37 PM
That's one heck of a beauty, George... and sweet work on the box!!

Chris Griggs
08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Beautiful saw, excellent gloat! I really like the wood on the handle. Congrats a great purchase.

Jim Koepke
08-11-2011, 1:10 PM
Incredible!!

jtk

David Weaver
08-11-2011, 1:27 PM
Nice saw! Of course, that goes without saying, knowing where it came from.

Gordon Eyre
08-11-2011, 1:50 PM
You have joined the elite of the handsaw world. Congratulation on a fine saw.

george wilson
08-11-2011, 1:53 PM
Saw snobs!! Another excellent piece of work!:)

George Beck
08-11-2011, 1:59 PM
204742204743Pedder corrected my specs This is a .016 plate 18 tpi standard cross cut. (25 degree fleam, 20degree rake). Here I was just splitting some pencil lines. The last cuts (away from the end) I didn't mark the vertical line, just let the saw cut straight down.

Pedder Petersen
08-11-2011, 2:05 PM
Thank You George,

we are glad you like the saw.

With the birds eye karelian birch and the 18tpi crosscut it was "interesting" to make.

And thank you all for the kind comments. very appreciated.

Best wishes
Pedder

George Beck
08-11-2011, 2:09 PM
Thanks everyone for looking. I am pretty pumped up. It is such a pleasure to use great tools. My work just goes better if I have the confidence that the tool is going to do what I want. If one is making a bunch of like objects, thats one thing, but doing one of a kind, one at time items it is just easier to pick up a saw and cut it. No noise, no dust blowing about, no fear of a piece of wood flying back and hitting me in the head. There is a place for power tools, of course, although I think the guys splitting 8/4 rough stock by hand are crazy but so are the guys beveling 12" boards on a table saw. But how I love fine hand tools. I have some acoustic guitar music on the ipod, the planes are sharp and singing and the saws cut straight. I Love It!