PDA

View Full Version : Waterlox "desperation" Question ...

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
A recent post asked if the WL original could be a topcoat; my question is the opposite. I live in CA, still in a county that allows WL Original, but it's tough to get. Bought 2 quarts to try it out on a bunk bed project and it looks like it's not going to be enough. SWMBO wants it in our little boys room YESTERDAY, so waiting on a new order is not a feasible option for "peaceful living."Can I topcoat it w/ Minwax wipe on poly that I can get locally? Would it matter if the WOP was water-bourne?I also have some blond and amber shellac flakes on hand - dewaxed.Any help would be most appreciated.

Brent Ring
08-11-2011, 4:11 PM
IMO, having used Waterlox, its a great top coat. you can actually let it sit and then recoat with a light sanding and it will continue to bond. I would put them in place and then when the stuff arrives, just take them out of production for a couple more days and just add more Waterlox. Better than poly IMO

Kent A Bathurst
08-11-2011, 5:05 PM
If Behlen's Rockhard is available, you can go ahead with it on the same schedule as if you were adding another coat of Wlox.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-11-2011, 5:19 PM
Thanks Brent & Kent, I appreciate the quick responses!