PDA

View Full Version : Power Meter??

kyle bonnell
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
What is the best way to use a laser power probe? Do you use vector mode or rast mode? I have 2 30 watt versa lasers.

Mike Mackenzie
08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Which Versa do you have the VL or the VLS?

kyle bonnell
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
VLS 2.3 dont think that matters though

Mike Mackenzie
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Go into the UCP system tab and click on the alignment Button. Once in there you will see several positions to move the head around. Set the power to 100% and the frequency to the max the time will depend on the meter. Start at 5-7 seconds.

Click on the upper x to move the head to the upper corner place the meter under the lens close the door and click the activate laser button adjust the time for the meter you are using. If it is the meat thermometer type your time will be longer.

Also the VLS systems have this built in whereas the VL systems do not.

kyle bonnell
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I know how to use the meter and all that. I saw my dealer test it on my machine. I bought my own and tested the laser in vector mode first. I get 34 watts. In rast mode I get 24 watts. Both at 100% power and 1% speed. So which way do I test? Vector or rast?

Mike Mackenzie
08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
You use the alignment mode it is a continuous on mode and you can adjust the time it stays on for the meter. You do not test the laser tube power in a vector or raster mode because it is pulsing. Use the alignment method.

kyle bonnell
08-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I get the same results from using the alignment method as the vector method

Mike Mackenzie
08-11-2011, 12:54 PM
You might however it is much easier to do it this method. you can also test the power anywhere on the table. If you send a vector file then you have to figure out where it is so that you can put the meter in the correct place.

This is how we do it and with the alignment power and frequency settings it is different than running a vector file.

kyle bonnell
08-11-2011, 1:02 PM
The way my dealer did it was to get the power meter where the beam leaves the tube in the back. So I set a vector image around the front of the machine so there is room for the meter. Then I let it run for 20 seconds.

Mike Null
08-11-2011, 3:48 PM
Kyle

Let me introduce Mike. He's a long time ULS distributor with an in depth knowledge of Universal machines. He has been a mainstay on this and other laser forums for years. His information is always reliable.

If it were me, I'd do it his way.